HybridZ

turbo pathfinder

I got a really good deal on a rusty old 84 300zx turbo, gonna take the engine and swap it into my 87pathfinder. I know it won't just bolt right in but a few mods and I think it'll happen. I figure I'll need to make a new left engine mount, and possibly make some custom exhaust manifolds but I'll keep you guys posted if anyone is interested.

there was a member on here, I have not seen him post in probably a year? He was doing the exact same conversion you are attempting. He used to update us regularly and then disappeared. He was having alot of issues, with the steering conflicts and downpipe routing and a whole host of things which I forget.

I guess the swap is a little more complicated than you might think, which makes sense, when was the last time you heard of a VG30ET in any Pathfinder or that style pick-up. If it were simple there would be alot more people doing this conversion, unless the conversion has been successful and I have not heard of any??? I guess a check on the 'net would be the way to find out. I have seen more SR20DET conversions in the Pathfinder style pick-up more than anything.

Not trying to disuade you but rather be the devil's advocate. If you have the confidence, the aptitude and fabrication skills. Go for it, I think it would be an awesome conversion.

Good luck - Yasin

there was a member on here, I have not seen him post in probably a year? He was doing the exact same conversion you are attempting. He used to update us regularly and then disappeared. He was having alot of issues, with the steering conflicts and downpipe routing and a whole host of things which I forget.

Yeah the member you are refering to is "warrenp" I emailed him a few times for some info on the subject. The main problem is the exhaust crossover pipe that goes around the top of the tranny. Warren solved that by installing a 3" lift kit and doing some slight hammering to the firwall. The steering shaft problem was solved by using a spacer between the steering box and the frame. He told me that his engine is installed and everything, but he's not too sure about wiring up the new injection harness so it's been sitting for a while. I aready did a l28et swap in to my 76z so the wiring problem shouldn't be a big concern for me. I'll email him my wiring info once I've figured it all out. (if he still needs it) Originally I was thinking of solving the clearance problems the same way Warren did but now I thinking of trying to make some custom manifolds and have the crossover pipe come around the front of the engine as there seems to be lots of room for that in the pathfinder. Who knows? maybe I'll even try to get my hands on some smaller turbos and make a twin setup? Nissan made a pulsar 1.5 with a turbo I believe? What other cars would have a turbo on about a 1500cc engine?

Grayzee - Sorry if I came off sounding a little negative and pessimistic, sounds like you have the aptitude to successfully do this conversion. So good luck.

Yes "WarrenP" was the member I was thinking and now that you mention it, I remember having to raise the truck 3" due to those conflicts. I hope he is able to sort out his EFI harness issues and get it up and running soon.

That KA turbo manifold is beautiful!! Love it! Is it made in Canada, based on the URL?

Regards - Yasin

nah, I didn't think you were being negative, I realise that you gotta weigh out out how difficult the task will be and you were just trying to point out things that I might not have considered.

As for the KA manifold yes it was made by a buddy of mine here locally. Check out the DP he made for my Z

http://members.shaw.ca/icecube/DPclose.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/icecube/DPside.jpg