HybridZ

What engine should I use in my Z?

Well, how much cash do you want to spend? For a V8 you'll need fuel injection and a very healthy overdrive to keep the rev's down on the highway. You could use a Grand National V6 turbo like Scottie GNZ, he's pulling mid-10's and getting something like 24 MPG. hail.gif

The cheapest route available to you is to turbocharge your L6. This is substantially easier than the engine swap, and you can keep decent mileage. With a few turbo upgrades, your car could really move...I just read about a turbo Z spanking a supra! 2thumbs.gif

Brett

My neighbor brought home a pontiac bonneville with the supercharged 3.8 litre motor. Man, that is a sweet looking package and it sure moves that heavy car well.

Don't know how much such an engine would cost, but shouldn't be too bad. Would make the Z a good road ralley car...should have excellent throttle response (something harder to get with a turbo)

BTW, what is so magic about 25 MPG? That is about all an early Z got in stock form to begin with. If you're worried about $$ then stick with the stock engine. The amount of money you will save a year by getting 25 MPG instead of 20 or even 15 MPG is peanuts. So the only other reason to worry about mileage is to save the planet (I am not putting it down, something to think about), at which point why are you driving a sports car?

I have an '83 ZXT which I'm playing with now and enjoying very much. rockon.gif Hope to ic and up the boost later. But I just bought the '81 and it has no motor or tranny 'cuz the guy just pulled the 350 out to put in his camaro...

Having looked at the evidence, I don't see alot of danger to the planet from exhaust gas. For one thing the same people currently saying that were recently saying cow farts were the most dangerous thing to the ozone. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I can put out some cash for the late model stuff, really just wondering what would give mileage and speed. 24mpg and a 10 sec. 1/4! hail.gif Now that I like. Where would I find the details on that setup? I'll run a search... wouldn't the cr have to be less than stock to turbo it? What would that entail? Not asking ya to spend a long time typing, just point the way to a website... I like to read.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

If the fellow who pulled the 350 out of the 81 left you with the conversion parts ie drive shaft,flange diff adatper ,motor mounts,tranny mounts,transmission, radiator.. Slap in another 350... I never got much more than 20 gallons on any 280 Z