HybridZ

1/4 MILE RESULTS WITH THE VICTOR JR...

Mike, I was just curious. Im trying to figure out why my times seem a little low. I do still have that tranny that seems to wanna glide into gear instead of shifting hard. You can here on the clip I posted earlier. I guess I may be losing a couple of tenths from the tranny not shifting hard. I remember you had the same problem before. Was there any differences time wise after you fixed the tranny? Im just trouble shooting...man i cant wait to get this tranny changed out....BTW Im about 190 or so myself.... :D

Terry

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry,

Where did you weigh your car? Also are you manually shifting the tranny? If so when do you shift? My tranny was starting to slip when I shifted manually. I would shift out at 6k approx. but it would go to 6500 or even on a few occassions went to 72-7400 :shock: Can you say BOOM!!!

My car was maybe a 10th or two faster after the tranny rebuild. Only due to more accurate shift points. Spinning to 7k does you no good if the motor is out of steam at 5800-6000.

I have had a few folks say my car is awfully heavy for a 1971 240z but I have weighed it 3 times and its always the same. Build date is 8/70.

Mike

I wanted the mention the rpm airgap but pyro beat me to it. Just wanted to reiterate that the single plane victor does not match your power band at all and even with the 4.11's I think it will be sketchy. I have the rpm airgap on my 383 blazer which ran a 13.3 on street everything. Mild cam, stock heads, stock truck tbi and intake. Cant wait to get it up and out there again. I hightly recommend you try the performer rpm airgap Its probably the best flowing dual plane intake out there. And the best part is it makes good power from 1500-6000 or 6500 might be time to look for a lsd also one wheelin a 3.54 is killing that 60ft

Yes I manually shift....both of my tires get traction off the line without problems. I often fish tail if I hit it in second changing lanes so no problem there. My intake is a match ported AFR dual plane so I think that is OK. I really suspect the tranny because it is starting to slip alot ans smell like a burning clutch... One thing at a time I guess. I will now need to get that Rature 700R4 stage three put in before long...boo :(

Terry

Actually when I weighed my car It was 2540, but that was with the iron heads, metal radiator, water pump, stock tank and lines etc, and stock rims and tires. I also had HEAVY 40 pound recaro seats which I have traded out for 20 pounders. All the rest has been replaced with aluminum. So its just an estimate but it surely doesnt weigh much more than 2400 or so...

Head weight saving 60 lbs

Radiator 10 lbs

Fuel cell etc 15 lbs

Seats 40 lbs

Water pump 10 lbs

Rims 25 lbs

Interior took out 5 pounds

Aircon unit inside 55lbs

Total 215 lbs

2540-215 = 2320 est...

I havent figured the difference from the rear disk swap or front disk swap and roll cage....

Cage is maybe 35lbs plus the difference with the brake upgrade and CVs..

2400 plus change?

Terry

Mike, what plugs are you running and what gap? Some of my fuel woes may be plug related..I.E. the cutting out and power loss etc.. I expect we can use the same plugs..mine are the longer base plugs that go deeper into the plug hole. Please advise.

Terry

Terry,

I run NGK's-fr4 0r fr5, 4's being hotter. I have run Champions and ran the rc12yc's they are of the same heat range as the NGK-5's.

If your plugs are black and wet your engine is running way to rich!!

Mike

Terry,

You said you spin hard and can almost change lanes when shifting from 1rst to 2nd. That is NOT good. What tire pressure are you running on your drag radials. I can launch at just off idle and then ram it to the floor..(not the best way) :lol: But easy on half shafts. I can still cut 1.70's.

My friends on street tires,Yokahama's or Khumo's cut 1.80's to 1.90's. You have plenty of torque my friend. Get your plug problems worked out by leaning it out or timing. Then if you have drag radials, drop your pressure to 15lbs and see what happens.

Good luck

Mike

Guys, the 2.04s 60 foots were coming after I changed to the Single plane. I put the dual plane back on and I was cutting 1.85/6s 60 footers. My best 1/8th was 7.99 but more 8.04/5s or so at 87 to 88 MPH. I bet the richness and plugs have something to do with it. Damn I wish I had a dyno in the town....boooooo. :cry: Im off tomorrow so Im changing the plugs and down jetting some....Man this is turning out to be a long post... :D:D Thanks for everyones help.. If you look at my pic below you can see it launches well and the the front wants to rise. I dont have a bog off the line just kinda slow then all hell breaks lose sorta thing....Most people here would die to run 12s and Im complaining...I GOT THE FEVER...beam me up scottie GNZ! :D

Terry,

When you run your car at the strip do you run your car with the air cleaner assembly on? I and two of my friends have messed around with our air cleaners and run both on and off.

2 out of 3 of us removed our air cleaners and run open carb and run faster. We only do this at the track!! Not good to do all the time of course but have shaved 2 tenths before. I am not running a crappy air unit either. It's a full K&N extreme 14x3.5 with extreme filter top. Must still be somewhat restrictive.

Just food for thought.

Mike

Roger that Mike, good call, Ill try it next time out. I wont be able to run until July so it will be awhile but I will have the 411s in to check at that time. Hope to have some more tech info then....hope you hit your tens!!! :D

Terry

Guest Hot-Rice

I don't have a bog off the line just kinda slow then all hell breaks lose sorta?

What do you call bog? ANY delay on launch is called BOG!

Look at pic it lifts front on launch, go outside and you will lift the front end more than your motor, it is DEAD on launch.

I love when someone is bogging and thinking they are CLOSE to lifting the front end. You won't until you are at least LOW 11''s I have not known ANYONE to lift before 10's without 4 link on a Z!

Like in real estate there are three things important

1. 60 foot time

2. Improving 60 foot times

3. And of course 60 foot times.

All decent times start with 60 foots, if you haven't maximized them you are being penny wise and dollar foolish.

If you can go to the track with other than slicks and don't spin you are bogging. LS1 Camaros running a mild stall and 12.8 1/4 spin drag radials.

Mas280, nice pic. Did you take off your front sway bar connections? I know some do it that have traction problems and it helps. I dont have any traction problems at the track. It may be different after the stroker upgrade but ZFAN isnt having any traction probs either....just have to wait and see I guess....

Hot Rice dont know where all that camefrom but welcome to the board never the less. 1 post turns into two etc....before long youll be a vetern of Hybridz....lets us know if you need anything that we can help with....now get out there and whip some butt... :evil:

CorZette