HybridZ

Differential flush

wheelman

I bought an R200 from one of our members. When it arrived I noticed it appeared to have a light grease in it. I assume it was for storage to prevent rust as the rear cover had been removed. I've cleaned out most of it but want to get it all out before installation.

What is the best way to flush it out and what should I use as a solvent? I'm going to replace the output flange seals as I'm converting to CVs so I don't care if they're destroyed by the solvent.

Also, should there be a slight play in the input shaft? I don't mean side to side or in and out but rotationally. IE. If I rotate the input flange there is a small amount of play before the output flanges begin to rotate. The amount is barely detectable but it is there. If there shouldn't be any play I suppose I'll need to have someone install shims to eliminate it, right?

Wheelman.

What you are describing is backlash. There has to be a little play between the ring and pinion so that the helicol gears dont constanly grind. I am not sure what the backlash is for your unit but I saw it in a recent thread. Its also possible that is is just worn and needs to be adjusted like you said with shims. It can be set easily but should probably be left to a shop that does it all the time. I get my new diff and CV axles tomorrow, did you get an LSD?

What kind of grease is in there? Wheel bearing, white lithium, or some other kind? If you get most of it out I dont see why it would hurt it it? Just as long as its not packed full of thick wheel bearing grease.

Guy

80LT1,

It was about the consistancy of wheel bearing grease but colored like vasiline, almost like cosmoline. I got almost all of it out, I was just wanting to flush it to ensure there wasn't anything else in there, although it looks clean.

Evil,

I figured that's what it was but asked anyway. After I posted the message last night I checked just how much things were moving. The unit is still open so I grabbed the input flange and then moved the ring gear. It moves much less than 1 millimeter before contacting the pinion when moved back and forth, so I think it's fine.

No it's not an LSD. I'm not sure I really want one. I've got a limitted slip rear in my truck and it drives me crazy when going around sharp corners. It must be a locker because the inner wheel locks and then hops. I also noticed that things get squirrelly on wet pavement the other day. We had a short rain storm and I was going up a hill turning to the left and gave it some gas, the rear broke loose and just about put me in the guard rail. So I won't be spending a lot of money on an LSD unless they operate differently from the one in my truck.

Thanks guys.

Wheelman