HybridZ

can you downgrade from CV's too U joints?

MaTTSuN

Good question. I know the turbo shafted cars used a 25 spline axle, matching the companion flange that slides onto it for use with the CV jointed shafts. Assuming Datsun used the same axle for the N/A and Turbo ZX cars, then the companion flanges would also swap as well. If this is the case, you should be able to swap to the U-jointed shafts. The companion flanges from one to the other will be the key. I would guess that if Nissan shows the same axle part number being used for both turbo and N/A ZXs, then they probably are all interchangable. Unfortunately, the Z axles had two differnent spline arrangements, which required different companion flanges even though the shafts were the same.

What always puzzled me is why Datsun went to a smaller spline axle (25 spline which is the same count as the 240Zs used) with the Turbo, compared to the previous N/A Z axles (27 spline which the 280Zs used).

I'm assuming you already know that the Turbo companion flange (25 spline) will not go onto the 280Z axle (but will fit a 240Z axle), and that you're using hybrid companion flanges (e.g. Modern Motorsports) made specifically for this swap?

thats what im intending on doing with the axles(putting them in my 78). if the u-joints dont match up i have the whole rear subframe of a N/A 2 put into the turbo chassis if the axles alone dont fit....im hoping i dont have 2 do that because thats allot more work, but i will if i have 2.