HybridZ

BWt5 turbo into s30 chassis questions

fl327

Getting ready to do another turbo conversion, but using more parts from the zxt body this time around including the t5 trans, cv, and diff, the car is a 2+2 and I know the driveshaft needs to get cut, but also wondering...

-how much did you have to cut the 2+2 driveshaft?

-has anyone used a polyurethane t5 mount for a chevy/ford sucessfully in this conversion.

-im pretty sure the crossmember must be altered love to see some examples.

Getting ready to do another turbo conversion' date=' but using more parts from the zxt body this time around including the t5 trans, cv, and diff, the car is a 2+2 and I know the driveshaft needs to get cut, but also wondering...

-how much did you have to cut the 2+2 driveshaft?

-has anyone used a polyurethane t5 mount for a chevy/ford sucessfully in this conversion.

-im pretty sure the crossmember must be altered love to see some examples.[/quote']

On the driveshaft, I had a custom one made (I used the same gearset that GForce uses, so I needed a different yoke), and I don't remember the length offhand.

However, I did use the poly mount - here are some pics of the modified ZXT crossmember:

crossmember1.jpg

crossmember2.jpg

Basically, the centerline of the poly mount needs to be offset 30mm from the centerline of the frame bushings. I had to cut away part of the stock crossmemer to allow mounting the poly bushing. I then added some reinforcement back in to keep it stiff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T
Have you guys have any trouble finding the T5 transmission output yokes? (or whole driveshafts) The seem to be like hen's teeth around here... From what I have found it's a Nissan specific T5 yoke...

I think I might have one laying around, an entire 85T driveshaft actually. I don't remember if I scrapped it with my last parts car or not, I may have saved it. Regardless, I have not had any issues finding them but I have not looked all that hard either... for lack of needing another one.

Now spare T5's... those are nice to have. The last one went before I had about 260RWHP/335RWTQ, this new one is holding what is probably over 340RWHP/400RWTQ on the bottle...

Jason - Get an '87-'89 turbo tranny and stop worrying. They will take pretty much anything you can throw at them.

Drax - I've got a Z31 T5 driveshaft on the shelf here - but it is the goofy non-replaceable ujoint yokes. I have bored up and machined the yokes to accept a bigger Ujoint with good results. I haven't broke anything in my turbo 240 with 9.5" Hoosier slicks - but I've only run maybe 25 passes. They keep giving me grief at the strip about slicks and no D/S loop - so I keep running my 225/45/17's at test-n-tune.

Good to see your car featured on the SDS website! :rockon:

Cheers - Doug

Guest Jason84NA-T
Jason - Get an '87-'89 turbo tranny and stop worrying. They will take pretty much anything you can throw at them.

Drax - I've got a Z31 T5 driveshaft on the shelf here - but it is the goofy non-replaceable ujoint yokes.

Cheers - Doug

I have one from an 88T, they have synchro problems like the N/A trans so I am waiting until I shred this T5 to swap it in. meanwhile, I believe I am one of the few people who actually like the T5.

The u-joints on my T5 driveshaft I had replaced with greasable ones, along with extending the driveshaft for my car and re-balancing it for under $120.

The slip yoke is hard to find so once I found one I kept the info around.

Slip Yoke number is 1203-26S sold by Powertrain in CA

this slip yoke uses the u-joint on a 240z driveshaft so watch out if you are using some other driveshaft

I used my 240z driveshaft and had it shortened about 1/2inch to 3/4 inch, can't remember exactly.

I don't have a number for powertrain, but any local diff shop should be able to look them up and get the part.