HybridZ

diff flange

Guest 3154tm

Guest 3154tm

anyone know where i can find a pinion flange for an '90-'96 Infinity J30 diff? the dealer says this is a no longer stocked item and of course my local recyclers want to sell me a whole diff. thanks.

Guest 3154tm

you would think so. the dealer did a parts search that was supposed to include dealer inventories nation wide. not only could he not find any he said his computer returned a code that indicated it was a discontinued item. i thought manufacturers had to stock replacement parts for ten years. guess not.

i thought manufacturers had to stock replacement parts for ten years. guess not.

I thought it was 20 years actually :? Seems kinda weird since the part you are looking for is only 14-8 years old?

Is your flange broken or do you just not have one?

Have you tried cross reffing to a Nissan diff to see if there is a match? I know Infiniti Q45 and 90-96 300zx tt both use an R230, so there might be compatability in other models and diffs as well??????? Might be worth checking out.

Wayne

Guest 3154tm

80LT1, i think i read somewhere that the feds only requier 6 or 7 years now. got to make those cars obsolete sooner. i'm using the diff from the Q45 and i don't have enough clearance for the 4 7/8" diameter flange. the Z32 and J30 use a smaller diameter flange.

rytherwr, as it turns out the '90-'96 Q45 is an R200, same as the non turbo Z32. the difference is the location of the abs sensor. the Q45 sensor is at the pinion flange and on the Z32 it's at the output flanges. this makes the Infinity version of the R200 case a little bit longer to accommodate the sensor which requires a longer pinion flange. so they are not interchangeable. there are some other minor differences but this is the only one that matters besides gear ratios. the J30 and maybe some others use the pinion flange sensor location.

3153tm, you are correct. The 90-96 years in my post are meant for the 300zx TT. I left out the (97-01) Q45 which I believe to be R230. D-u-u-u-u-u-h-h-h! Thanks for the correction.

Tim, your picture of the diff makes me wonder what on earth I have! I just bought what was purported to be an R230 diff, axles and driveshaft out of a 91 300zx TT and the rear cover of the diff has 3 bolts across the top and bottom, more closely spaced to the right. It is MUCH more heavy duty than the R200 4:08 that I know I have. Pulled the cover and the gears are 3:69 + change, which I believe is right. It is a VLSD with 6-bolt output flanges. I have some pictures somewhere and I will post as soon as I find them. Opinions are welcome. Empirical data on the ID of this thing is even more welcome. :? Hope this isn't confusing the issue.

Wayne

3154tm, many thanks and Yes, Sir, I've seen 'em. I you open them up, you will notice that I am in amongst 'em. Learned an awful lot from all that stuff, that is why I am now confused again. Pls see my recent pics in this same forum under the flange question. Tim's rear cover is different than mine, however, I am pretty sure they are both R230's. Any thoughts?

Wayne