HybridZ

LT4 with ZF 6 Speed on ebay

What do you guys think of this deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872867714

An LT4 with ZF 6 speed transmission. This place is within driving distance of my house. Doesn't look like there is too much interest (0 bids with 12 hours left). I assume the reserve price of $3450 is the minimum they will sell it for?

What is the deal with the ZF transmission? Can't remember but I thought they didn't fit the Z too well.

LT4 is nothing special, other than having 4 bolt mains, not worth the price IMO. You could get a Vette LT1 if you wanted, but those are also usually not worth the price. Unless your going to rev over 7,000 RPM with an aftermarket PCM, or put out over 550 RWHP, I would not bother with 4 bolt mains, from what I have seen put together the 2 bolt will work very well with most any NA setup kept at reasonable RPM levels, 8,000 RPM well, I'd like the insurance.

The ZF only came in the Vette, and I know the flywheel is not the same as the FBod's, so sounds like it could bring some PITA into play as far as a swap goes.

Had sort of come to the same conclusion. Would be nice to have the 345 HP that the LT4 are reputed to have vs. the 270 HP of most LT1's. Plus I have always loved the look of roller rockers.

My goal is to eventually get AFR heads, so I might consider an iron head LT1 (saw a number of them advertised on ebay) for the initial swap.

But the big thing is I can't see paying a premium for the ZF tranny when it looks to be not as suitable for a Z. Could only find one guy in the archives who tried to install one and he was trying to figure out the shift linkage.

330HP for the LT4, a mild cam (not the HOTCAM), better exaust/intake manifolds, and better heads.

Roller rockers are cheap, plus you dont see them under the intake. I chose non SA rockers (+guideplates), but they dont fit under the stock LT1 valve covers without work, as for the Vette LT1 covers they are easier to work with, and they are composite plastic, are ~$200 to order those seperately but I may do that someday.