HybridZ

A Few Quick R230 Q's

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I got a source for a rear end out of a 300zxtt from japan. It is a 1990 fairlady model.

I asked them:

Does it has a finned cover? he said the bottom half is finned.

Does it have an orange VSLD sticker? couldn't find one

Are the inner CV bolts 5 or 6? He said 6

So what does it sound like to you guys?

Also isn't the gearing stamped on the case? ex. 3.7 or 4.08

Thanks

Here are some pics of the diff I got which was puported to be from a 91 300zx TT. R230?????? VLSD but the sticker came off when I was cleaning it. Pulled the rear cover and gears are 3.69 + change. As you can see, 6-bolt output flanges.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/14732/normal_P1000379.JPG

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/14732/normal_P1000380.JPG

Wayne

Guest 3154tm

there is a lot of confusion surrounding the r200 vs. r230 debate.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=67531767&Forum=All_Forums&Words=NICO&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=67530701&Search=true#Post67531767

also, the '90-'96 Q45 R200 has six bolt flanges like the '90-'96 Z32TT R230 but the J30 R200 has five bolt flanges.

Guest iskone

Well the most help I got from the 240sx link was about bolt patterns.

The R230 has 6 EVENLY spaced bolts where as the R200 has a 3x2 setup.

How much should I worry about the sticker? To me it seems minor, if all 230's are VLSD

From what else I 've been reading the only way to check ring set is to take off the cover, does that sound right to anyone else?

Neil how are yoou detrming that rear end pictured is a R200 and not R230?

What say you Tim?

The unit has no labling on it to 'designate' it a R230, but it came out of a 93 Q45, and has the 6 bolt 'evenly' spaced flange and has the VLSD unit. I am pretty sure that it's a R230 unless someone can show me some 'real' evidence otherwise....

Tim

Guest 3154tm

i thought i'd read somewhere that the R200 and the R230 could also be distinguished by the bolt pattern across the top of the cover. that is, the R230 has three bolts and the R200 only has two. look at the second picture posted by rytherwr in this thread.

Well I thought this issue was done and dusted.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=33834

Apart from the different shortnose casing and short pinion shaft all R200s are the same, the bearings, seals and the spacing on the rear cover bolts.

Which is how I can tell from Tims pic that it is R200, he also stated that it is early Q45 which is a 3.538 R200.

Iskone if what you are looking at is a 300zxTT with a 3.692 ratio then it is R230.

Note that after 96 Nissan dropped the orange viscous sticker. Neil

Guest iskone

Thanks Neil, I never read that thread.

What about gearing? I haven't followed the links in the thread yet so it might be covered.

Iskone,

I know for sure the VLSD short version of the R-200 I have in the car has 4.08:1. Unlike Tim's, mine has the 5-bolt output shafts. Tim says his came from a Q-45 and mine came from a 93 non-turbo 300zx. My rear cover bolt pattern is the same as Tim's so it looks like the difference in the two is the output shaft flanges. The R230's I have (thanks to these threads, I am now sure) have 3.694:1 gears and 6-bolt output shafts. Pulled all the covers just to make sure. The R-230 is much beefier in all respects. Links to side and rear view of one of my R-230's contained in my thread (about the third thread I believe). Pls note the 3 bolts top and bottom on the R-230 as opposed to the 2 bolts in the R-200

Wayne

Guest iskone

Thanks

I looked at the pics on your thread and have a hard time seeing the three bolts, since the pics are a little dark. (EDIT I seen the right pics)

It appers that all 300ZXTT's have a 3.7(I could be mistaken) and the Q45's have 3.5's

I think a 3.7 might be a problem for me since I want to run a LS1 with 450hp and a T56.

I've thought about using a larger cam to knock off the low end torque but I would have other problems such as cold starts and a really rough idle.[/b]

Now c'MON Iskone.......Do you REALLY expect us to believe that you are not going to have your foot in it when you are running 450 HP w/ a T56???? :lol: You have WAY more will power than I do!!!! :D Guess my point is that if you are running a stick, you can run the larger cam with idle higher than w/an automatic, however, you still must exercise will power on your right foot to keep from frying the tires, big cam or no. That being the case, I think 3.70's and judicious foot would be cool.

The ZVette is about to take its maiden voyage (within a couple of weeks) and I'm running a chevy 10.3:1 383 FI, built 700R4 (medium stall converter), Denny's al driveshaft, 4.08 gears, and Moser axles. Running on 10.5 inch rear Mickey's (soft compound street tires) full cage, etc. Did I mention the adjustable 250 hp nitrous kit mama got me for Christmas??? Gotta love a woman like that!!!!

Will let you know if I can keep from making Japanese pretzels out of stuff.

Wayne

Guest iskone

I don't know if I have more will power, I just don't want to run into traction problems all the time.

I live in Wa. and can see my self spinning the tires going out of a uphill driveway or somthing like that, but I guess that will just go with the territory :D

Your ZVette is gonna be a killer!! :twisted: