HybridZ

Engines in - Quick Question

I got my 355 Chevy into my 77 280Z 2+2 this weekend :-D

After several different iterations I have the engine with in an 1/8" of level side to side and just can't seem to get it any closer. I layed a carpenters level across the fenders and made sure it was level and then measured down to the top of the valve covers and there is an 1/8" difference between the two. When I lay a level across the top of the carb the level bubble while not centered is between the lines so very close.

Do I need to sweat this 1/8"? Seems like on uneven roads etc the engine will lean a whole lot more than it is now. JTR didn't cover this.

Also, being new at this wow what a lot of work!!! Especially hammering the floor of the 2+2 to get the tranny mount flush; on my 2+2 2 bolts hit a high formed ridge and the other 2 a low spot with my T5. I guess it just takes patience and a big hammer.

Any input on the level thing would be greatly appreciated!

Are you sure you have the spacers and setback plates on the correct sides?

The plate with 6 holes and the 2 1/2" spacer go on the drivers side and the others on the passenger side. This seems to be a fairly common mistake.

Did you make your own plates/spacers or buy them from JTR? If you made them one might be off a small amount causing the tilt.

Worst case is the tilt will cause the oil dip-stick to either read high or low and possibly un-cover jets in the carb depending on which direction it leans.

Before accepting the tilt I would try tracking down where it's coming from. Such a small deviation probably won't make much difference but if it were me it would bug me until I found out where it was coming from and fixed it.

Wheelman

I purchased and used the JTR kit and got everything in the right spot.

I am leaning toward it being my slotted holes or the "hammered" floor. When I slotted my holes I took the bottom of the Z mount holes as the bottom of my slot. Using a cutoff wheel could easily make a 1/16 high on one side and a 1/16 low on the other causing the total tilt of 1/8". I tried tightening the motor mounts holding the engine level but everytime I released the engine hoist the engine would reseat itself with the bolts at the bottom of the slots. Have considered putting a small shim between the motor mount and the JTR plate?

Any other suggestions? :?

I think you may be stuck with it...

1/8 is well within the range of a car that's taken a shot and been straightened. Remember, you've got an almost-thirty-year-old car, it's lived a full life before you got ahold of it.

If you're really concerned, you can have a body shop put it on their Magic Measuring Table. I've been told it'd only take an afternoon, not even be very expensive.

Heck, *I'm* not within 1/8" of specification any more...

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe you did anything more than just eye-ball it.

Sounds dang near perfect to me.

Me too. If you end up with coil-overs, your problem can be easily fixed that way too :D

I would not sweat 1/8 inch at all....you can't even see it with the naked eye.

Davy