HybridZ

What Z should I buy?

Guest jwmaxse

Guest jwmaxse

I'm considering buying a Z and I'd like to get input as to which model to buy. I'm partial to the VG30ET motor so I've been considering the '84-89 300zx turbo's, but if there is a different one that I can put the VG30ET in easily I'd consider that as well. What would you guys recommend? I'd like to get the car into the 12's in the quarter and still have a daily driver. What platform is the best one to start with? I've read the FAQ's but I'd like some other insight if you all have any, as well as sources for more info on the cars. Thanks.

Josh

IMO, you might look into the earlier Z's (240/260/280) as they are a somewhat lighter car. The zx's got heavier and heavier, and personally I think the older Z's look better anyway! Seeing as ppl can jam a small block V8 into a Z, I would think the turbo v6 would be no prob. I have seen a few here and there on the web, so it is possible.

As for 'easilydropping in an engine' though, it depends on your skills and understanding of this kind of project. Not trying to be rude, but are you capable of such an undertaking? And if not, do you have the money behind you to pay someone to do this kind of work? Engine swaps can get expensive and time consuming (as many here will tell you) and if you start with a rough car, there's lots of other work to consider as well. (welding/body work/mechanical) Aside from the late model 90+ 300's, most Z's are quite old now and either in need of serious restoration/mechanical work, or the restoration/work has already been done and they are not cheep. Not trying to scare you off, just pointing out some things. Have a look around here though, and you'll find LOTS of usefull info. Good luck! :)

My 260 is forsale. It comes with a ready to build L28et turbo motor. You could build it with the stock T3 that it has, put a nice I/C in and turn the boost up to 15psi. I've seen that net 12.7's on early Z's. I'm asking $4000 for everything, and for another thousand you'd have your 12 second car.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=54&de=461

262.jpg

Phyte

Guest jwmaxse

Phyte, that's a nice looking Z, but I think I'm going to stick with the '84-'89's. I know they are a bit heavier and not as good looking, but they're a bit more modern and come with the motor I'm looking to build.

I mentioned doing an engine swap because I'm not sure what Z's actually come with the vg30et and I may be willing to put a turbo on a non-turbo car.

If the 84-89's are the only ones that come with the VG, I'd like to know which one is the ideal platform to modify. I know there are differences with weight, lsd, and power, but I'm curious if anyone has any more insight.

The majority of members here have experience with V8 swaps, L24-28 mods and turbo stuff on the 240-280 model lines. Off course there are some Z31 people, but you should consider checking the http://www.Z31.com website since there is a lot more experience and knowledge related to the 84-89 300zx.

In general the 88-89 turbo models are the best (have LSD, better fuel injection, nicer body and various fine tunnings of other components, the 87 also has LSD, but the fuel injection system is not as nice).

In this class of cars I have owned a 280Z with a L28et turbo swap, two 280ZXT (modified), an 88 300ZX and an 1990 supra turbo. The earlier Z models are the most fun. the 300ZX was comfortable and very boring(compar to the other sport cars), even with the turbo. The 87-91 supra turbo is also very comfortable but with just a little bit of modification becomes a serious perfomer and blows away the 300ZX turbo in every aspect, fun, stability, comfort, engineering, power, handling...and with a straight 6 is easier to work on (the best years for the early supra's are 89-91). The supra while heavy,is also very very stable and tracked beautifully, the 300zx was heavy without being that stable. The only major weakness on the supra was related to blown head gaskets, which can be easilly fixed, many of the used ones have had the gaskets and studs already replaced.

That's my 2 cents.

Guest OrangeCountyZ

I had a Z31 turbo. I loved it. Only problem I had with them were the headlight coming on whenever it wanted to and I had master cylinder problems which caused me to crash. :evil: