HybridZ

New A/C system for 280z

Since my compressor crapped out.. and my dryer has been exposed to air for a while, and my condenser isn't in the best shape... i was thinkinga bout installing a Domestic A/C system for cheap parts, etc.

Then i saw this at courtesy nissan.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=240Z-AC

has anybody tried this kit out?

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cool78Z

I think the price on the Courtesy or MSA kit is a lot higher than your replacement of the OE sys. parts: condenser, compr. and dryer are about $120, 120 and 60, resp. plus the cost of gas, oil and flushing fluid. If your evap. is bad. that would be more of course, but it usually is not.

But are the R-12 designed systems going to perform as good as a 134a designed system? I don't wanna be putn' propane in my a/c system like some of the guys on here. The other thing i was thinking about was takn' the system from a Ford Explorer and adapting it.

-Ed

Guest cool78Z

A true R-134 sys runs at a higher pressure and has slightly larger capacity than an equiv. R-12 sys, but you are doing a conversion and you are right that it will have a slightly lower performance than if it ran with R-12; but it will probably be adequate.

MY OE AC sys is putting out 36 F degree air at the center vent now on max. w/ R-12 with outdoor air at 80 F. This is better than the standard 40 degree drop that is recommended as a measure of performance. BTW this is w/a stock sys that is original except for the condenser that was replaced about 8 yrs. ago.

I would estimate a conversion sys would operate at about 10-15 pct. less. Can you live with this in your area?

Another option is to use one of the "drop in" replacement refrigerants. There are a number of them, "Freeze 12" being one. They are designed to replace the R-12 in your system directly, no need to replace seals or other components. They are not a "controlled substance" like R-12, as they don't contain chloroflurocarbons (sp?). However, people seem to have had mixed luck using them, for a variety of reasons; but by that token, people have mixed luck converting to R-134 as well.

I was not aware of the drop in "r-12" compatible refrigerants. I might try that first before buyn' new stuff. Also.. I live in Houston Texas, the ambient air temp in the car easily reaches 140 in a matter of only 10 min. So the A/C system really needs to be above par as i don't want to sit for 20 min to cool off, by that time i'm already and home and soaked. Yes i've heard about mixed luck with 134a, that is why i figured if i took a system off an explorer, big vehicle to cool... I figure it would be more than adequate too cool off the hatch back Z. I'd also like to install a new fan motor and A/C controls, but one step at a time.

-Ed