HybridZ

SHIFTER ARM RATTLES WITH NON-OEM SHIFT HANDLES

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

HI, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I've bought at least two aftermarket shifter handles, one plastic and one metal, and they've both buzzed and/or rattled no matter how much I've isolated the mounting pins (they use 3 hex pins to stay in place). I've even used rubber hearing aids inside the plastic isolation shift mount sleeves, to no effect in reducing this noise/vibration. I mistakenly returned the first one, thinking something plastic could have broken inside it!

I'm beginning to think that all ZX shifter arms are somewhat more resonant in their linkages than other cars, but being that this is a 21 year old vehicle, it isn't altogether surprising. I really like the shifter knob I just got for .99 off of Ebay, but I don't know if I can live with it cheapening the shifter "experience"...is this type of shifter mount, b/c it's not a "twist on" OEM/280ZX install, the problem, or is it something I could reach if I bothered removing the center console shifter rubber surround etc, and do something with rubber/duct tape, etc, to isolate the looseness somewhere "down under"?!

It's not a really big deal..I can live with my oem one, but it's fading out (numbers, texturing, etc)!

Thanks

John