HybridZ

Injector noise.. or something.... aaarrrgh!

I attempted to swap out an injector with a rebuilt one, and after putting the fuel rail back on, there is this very annoying noise that is emitted from the back 3 injectors usually after the car has warmed up. I attempted to replace the fuel pressure regulator with another known good one, and it somewhat made the noise go away. But, after warming up the car, the noise returns! Sometimes it goes away under boost, but the noise is always a constant "eerrrrrrr" that does not change pitch as the engine revs. I have tried unplugging injectors, swapping them around, to no avail. All injector bosses are good and new injector o-rings were put on. The sound is coming from the back 3 injectors. Injector replaced was #6. The car has good fuel pressure and drives normally, even under boost. But the noise is unbearable. It has 280ZXT injectors, stock fuel rail, and a BEGI adj. fuel pressure riser. I also tried taking out the new rebuilt one I got and it still made the sound. The sound gets muffled if I put a board over the back 3 injectors, so I know its coming from that region. I was beginning to think the problem was electrical (cause the noise sounds like a p/o'd relay), but when I unplug the injector harnesses, the sound is still there. I'm really running out of ideas though, my last idea is to change out the fuel rail. I had my local NAPA store test and retest all the injectors, and they do not make the noise on their injector machine (all of them work quite well, actually). But once they are on the car...

This is a very strange problem becaue the car is running fine despite the noise, fuel pressure is fine at idle. (did not do this before I replaced the injector!) I'm running out of ideas so if anyone has some, I could use the help!

This may be offbase but did you lean hard on the manifold when you were working on it possibly loosening the intake exhaust gasket. Leaky gaskets in the exhaust make annoying ticking sounds....sometimes worse when hot.

OR

Injector O-rings not seated properly?

It's definately not a ticking noise. Its more like a constant errrrrr. Ever play with those circuit boards in an electrical class, or auto electrical class, when you move the wire to the wrong spot, and the relay buzzes? It's kinda like that, times 10. I'm thinking if it was a gasket leak of some sort, it would change its pitch as the engine revs, but it is constant. Tomorrow I will try to put on the NA fuel rail, and see if the problem persists.