HybridZ

IS MY B.O.V BLOWING ME OFF?!!

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've already documented elsewhere how my 1 inch Home Depot plumbing hose is popping off at high revs. The thing my I/C installer said is that my BOV (DSM g1) must be defective if the hoses are coming off while I'm on gas/boost! I had a trip to VT and back through the mountains, and I am now sure it pops even before putting in the clutch (5 times by the side of the road refitting and clamping!!!).

So, the question is still whether I could have a BOV that is leaking...which brands/models are less likely to do this, and since I'm running probably anywhere from 10-15lbs boost, what of the BOV types that are "crushed" or have an adjustment dial..are they less likely to leak, or at least not leak until a higher pressure.

Thanks

John--83 280ZXT, DSM BOV, NPR I/C, ETC

Can you be a bit more specific about how your system is plumbed? Your intercooler lines should only have the potential to come apart when they are under pressure (ie: boost) so I am not sure what:

The thing my I/C installer said is that my BOV (DSM g1) must be defective if the hoses are coming off while I'm on gas/boost!

has to do with this. I can't imagine how you can get hoses popping off while NOT on boost.

My 1G DSM bov seems totally fine right up to 14psi, with no mods to it. Likely if you are having problems it's to do with your piping or connections no being robust enough to handle the pressure.

Also does:

I'm running probably anywhere from 10-15lbs boost

mean you don't have an accurrate boost gauge? If not you are walking the path to a blown engine. With a GOOD intercooler, fuel system, high octane gas and tuning you CAn BE safe at 15psi, with anything less you can't.

Guest jjohart

The clamps are the standard plumber's variety single screw tightener. I was looking at some "T" clamps on Road Race.com, but they don't come less than over 2 3/4 diameter. I also had another dull thud of realization, which is that my hosing is actually shrinking in the heat of engine bay temps, meaning the bloody fool Willy at Custom Tubes put on non-heat resistant hosing!! Maybe that's why I keep finding the screws on the clamps are looser after a highway trip when they don't pop (yet)..must be shrinkage!

Does anyone know if Blitz is a better blow off valve than DSM...better, as in less likely to leak? Willy gets out of any customer support from me now that he's got my 3 grand for a great I/C piping set up/install and put a $1.50 hose on it and tell's me to replace the BLOW OFF VALVE "there's something else wrong, it ain't the hose, you should'nt be getting that much pressure, you're running way too much boost. He didn't even hear me when I asserted the hosing is folding and bending in the reverse curve to the intake!

BTW, I did have a turbo timer/boost gauge, but it was wired by my mechanic, Jeff-Avalon Racing, as best he could follow the schematic wire by wire (no harness) and it blew out my starter in a matter of weeks (it would click the starter as I turned the key to off!).

John--off to the marine store to find "wire reinforced" heat tolerant hose!

If you're blowing off the 1" hose that the DSM BOV recirculates it's air back into the hose between the AFM and turbo, try this:

Take the hose off of the BOV, plug the hose, then go for a ride. You say it's blowing off before lifting your foot off the pedal to shift so, bring it up to whatever boost level you think your running and see what happens. If it's leaking, you'll definetly feel it since it'll create a major rich mixture and cause it to stumble. Also, where do you have the BOV reference port connected?

If you determine it is leaking at the boost levels you are running, you can probably crush it which will allow it to hold more boost pressure. I had my cousin just buy the TurboXS HP BOV which seems to be working good and it can be recirculated easily if you wanted to. Just a suggestion. One more thing, i would get at least a boost gauge to see where you're at. No wires for anyone to mess up, just one plasic hose that runs to your intake manifold. Good luck.