HybridZ

Cross your fingers for me guys!!! SWEET I.C. for FREE maybe

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Man I REALLY gotta start taking my camera to work with me!!!

So a friend of mine was over hanging out at my job last night, and he just happens to mention that one night while he was looking around at some of the cars that were going to be clearing (I work at a tow truck company for any who dont know, any impounded cars that dont get picked up go up for auction), he noticed what he was sure was an intercooler resting in one pile of junked parts. I'm figuring he probably just saw a radiator, but I figure what the hay, lets go have a look.

We go rummaging thru the pile and SURE ENOUGH!!! There is a Trust brand, aluminum FMIC sitting in there!!! A lot of the fins are bent from it being buried in there, and it looks like the guy who was using had some serious oil-leaking-from-the-turbo problems, but otherwise it is in GREAT shape. It is sized PERFECTLY for the Z, and would MUCH easier to get mounted and installed than the Buick GN I/C I've been sitting on for months (the odd inlet and outlet pipes of the GN I/C would really need to be modified and the unit kinda lines up funky no matter which way I put it, and getting piping to and from it is going to be a bit more complicated than this trust unit would be.). It's a smaller unit, about 6" high, 3" deep, and the PERFECT length to where the inlet and outlets are just a few inches short of where the holes in the radiator support are (2.5'-3' long?)... two 90* bend sections of hose on the ends and it would be PERFECT. If I didn't know any better I'd swear this thing was taken out of a turbo'ed 240. There are two mounting brackets on top of the unit that will bolt perfectly into the top of the rad support, just drill the holes and bolt'em up. The inlet and outlet holes match the diameter of the J-pipe perfectly as well. And since it's not a very tall unit, I wouldn't worry about this think blocking off airflow from the radiator and causing cooling problems. Yet I'm fairly confident that it would work fine and be more than enough for the mild power and boost I'm running (tell me I'm right about this pleeeeeeeeeease). Also since it's not so tall it's not super visible behind the front grill (unless I mount it from the bottom where it will peek out from the 'mouth' of the front air dam?? might just do that though it add some bends and couplers to my piping setup... and anyways I've BEEN wanting to keep the thing stealthy)

So I bring that over to the main tow guy/manager who happened to be dropping off a car, and unfortunately found out that this thing was in some sort of pile of police evidence :cry::cry::cry: so I can't take it just yet (and now I have my fingerprints all over it... nice!) Well this 'evidence' has been there for a long time, and most likely will never be picked up, as most of the stuff that has been brought to our lot like that usually doesn't. So it should just be a matter of time until the police say we can dump the stuff and it should be mine for free OR possibly I might have to pay some small amount, like $50, if my boss finds out that I want it he'll probably want to charge me for it... f'd up I think but well worth the money as well. Then again he might be like one of these guys at the junkyard and have no idea what the part even is or what it's for and either give it to me or charge me even $5-20. Whatever it might go for I'd bet I could EASILY re sell the GN unit to at least cover the cost.

So guys PLEASE cross your fingers for me I would be SO friggin happy if I can get this IC... and I"m sure I'd get around to getting it installed a heck of a lot quicker since figuring out how to install it and modding the unit itself would no longer be an issue. Please please please let this thing fall into my lap :D

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope you get it. The police evidence thing sucks. There is a wrecking yard near my house that has a '79 ZX with perfect black interior. It is also in "evidence limbo". I have been waiting for over a year to get my hands on it. It just sits there and rots away...... :cry:

Guest bastaad525
Leave your other FMIC in the pile as evidence and take the Trust one home. It has your prints all over it now anyway. :lol:

ROFL yeah I thought of that one too! Man but me always trying to be honest and do things right... having opened my mouth and shown interest, now it will be noticed if that IC dissapears. So I gotta wait... the guy couldn't tell me how long either. Sometimes I really wish I wasn't so 'karma conscious'... coulda just thrown it in my car and took it and no one woulda been the wiser... but then day after install I bet money my trans woulda fell out on the freeway or something stupid like that :evil:

So I wait...

In the meantime, I may have just scored another impossibly lucky deal... a friend of mine just offered to sell me his '90 240SX, rebuilt engine and auto overdrive trans, less than 10k on them, for $1200!!! And I KNOW this guy he takes good care of his cars, been a mechanic for years and works currently at a lexus dealership as such.... man... finally some good luck coming my way eh guys?

Sweet. I've got my fingers crossed for you man. NIce to know someone is Karma conscious other than me. My friends steal stuff from the junk yard all the time. I pretend I don't no them at times. Big stuff to. Distributors, throttle bodys,lights, they chuck it over the wall andtake off with it.Cheap skates. I don't like to rip people off. IT'S THE GOLDEN RULE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.