HybridZ

280Z28 Brake Upgrade

Well - I'm taking the big plunge and ordered the adapters today to upgrade the brakes on the 280Z28.

After a long and painful search and deliberation cycle I have opted to get the 240SX/300ZX rear disk upgrade from Modern-Motorsports and the JSK Innovations Willwood upgrade for the front.

I would have preffered to have had mfg. matching brakes front and rear but this is the only combination that matched my criteria:

1) Most brake for the price,

2) Availability of spare parts,

3) Concerns about the Modern-Motorports big brake upgrade fitting my particular set of 16" wheels, and

4) Keep the e-brake.

I still have tow or three decisions to make:

1) The Willwood Superlite IIA's have been replaced by the Superlite forged series. The IIA's are still available at a really good price though http://www.pitstopusa.com but the forged series are supposed to handle peak heat situations better (like me running out at Texas Motor Speedway). :roll:

2) Do I upgrade to the 79-81ZX 15/16" Master cylinder or stick with my 7/8".

3) Do I install a proportioning valve. This will be answered after I install the brakes and can evaluate the front-rear balance.

I even talked to a tech at Wilwwod and asked him for the right combo for front & rear calipers. After getting all the numbers, he says it should be so close that I shouldn't need a proportioning valve. A few days later, I emailed Wilwood with all the info he gave me to verify everything. The reply (probably from another tech) said "Looks like a great setup. I would still put in a proportioning valve, just in case and you'll won't have to bleed the brakes to put it in later". Funny, even the guys "in the know" have different perspectives. I figure that I might as well put one it. Also allows you to adjust for wet conditions, on & off the track. (not saying that's an issue for most, but might be with me) Road courses are hairy in the rain!!

Guest the_dj
280Z28.

That's my user name on almost every other forum I'm registered at. I asked for mine here to be changed to that but I never got a reply. :?:

I came to this forum looking for brake upgrade information and for some reason your topic caught my attention. ;)