HybridZ

Ok, question for you guys who know bout LS1 stuff...

Ok, so I'm getting all of my parts together to begin my swap.. in 2 WEEKS!!!! But I've come across a small problem that these guys are trying to explain to me over at LS1tech.com.

I have a 1998 LS1 engine w/ECM from a Trans-Am going into my swap.

originally it was coupled with a 4L60E automatic transmission which I am trying to get rid of (Myron, I will email you soon, couldnt get pics just yet unfortunately)

I opted to go with a manual transmission instead. So I found a 2002 T-56 tranny from a Corvette with low miles at a low price.

So now its going to be:

1998 Trans-Am LS1

2002 Corvette T-56 trans.

I put this up over at LS1tech while asking some different questions, and this issue arose...

Here's the first little tidbit:

"T56 from a vette? Where ya gonna put it, and more importantly how are you going to make the driveshaft?"

Confused, I asked what on earth he was talking about, why wouldnt I be able to put the trans in the car? Then I get this response:

"5.7LImport, what CDK was referring to with the "where are you going to put your trans?" question is that Corvette transAXLES are located between the rear wheels and connected to the engine via torque tube. I have never pulled one of those apart, but I can't think it would be all that easy to shorten. Also, there is a large diameter "bellhousing of sorts" where the torque tube mounts to the transaxle. Depending on the clearance, fitment could be an issue."

At this point I'm still utterly confused, WTF is a trans-axel and why the hell is something mounted near the rear diff. going to be an issue in a hybrid swap?? The guys then go on to say this:

"Yea Derek thats the point. Hope we didnt ruin your saturday, and more importantly hope you didnt pay too much for the Vette T56. Trade it in for an Fbody unit and make sure to find a Slave fitting for the unit. Oh yea while your at it you will need the ECM for the manual trans, and of course the wiring harness unless you buy the Painless which comes either or. "

So now I'm being told I have wrong parts and I cant wire anything and blah blah blah which all sounds like crap to me. And I get one final reply:

"They are referring to the 3ft of input shaft a Vette trans has, as it sits in the rear of the car.. the Vette trans and F body trans is completely different."

So, how the hell does this have anything to do with my swap?? I'm confused as to whether or not this 'trans-axel' is vital to the function of the transmission. I dont see why a transmission, that fits the engine, used to shift the gears, (thats all I need it for), cant just be bolted on, wired up, and work!?!

Someone please help to clarify this, I really dont understans how it will be impossible for this transmission to work in my swap.

Thanks!

Everything those guys are telling you is correct. Look at this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873458686

The transmission is not bolted to the engine. It is contained within the transaxle of the car in the rear, which is connected to the engine with a large torque tube. To use the vette T56 you would have to remove the rearend from your car and swap in the entire vette rearend, and most likely shorten the torque tube and driveshaft depending on wheelbase. There is probably not enough room in the rear of the car to fit the transaxle.

Danny

Yup, I had just looked at that picture right after I made my post.

THIS SUCKS!

So ya, anyone wanna buy a 2002 Vette tranny??

Gotta get rid of it now, I haven't even gotten it in yet. Hopefully I can get everything sorted out and have all the correct parts in time to get the swap done and started on schedule!

I twak.gif myself for being so ignorant and not researching more before I bought.

You cannot do too much research. I have been reading on this board almost daily since last December, and have not even started my conversion yet. The search function is a super handy tool. So is reading all the members websites.

Danny

Well, Ive certainly learned that. I've been on this board for well over a year. LS1 stuff isn't too abundant. The problem I had was that, all of the information I had recieved about the transmissions told me that as long as it is a T-56 for an LS1 it will work and they are interchangeable. No one bothered to be more specific and tell me that the tranny's aren't interchangeable between Vette and F-body. So ya, I end up screwed. I never even knew such a thing like the Vette's transaxel setup even existed. I'm pretty sure that's why I ended up in the situation I'm in.

Guest jdllaugh

Here's a guy from Tulsa in the same boat. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874323395

I never new the difference in the Corvette drivetrain until I saw a Car & Driver TV show report on the new 'Vette. They had a chassis with the body removed and were talking about how innovative it was, and how the driveline change make the car more balanced. Seems like Porsche had the same idea a few years back....

Haha, well I hope I get ahold of someone's F-body T-56 before he does! They are SO hard to come by if you aren't looking for a super-expensive remanufactured one.

I have a guy who is willing to trade my Vette T-56 for a Camaro T-56 with the same mileage. I saw this and was like, YES, SCORE, AWESOME, SOOOO PAINLESS!!! So asked what year and model and I get a reply saying... 1998 LT1... :confused:

Now this threw me off a WHOLE lot. 1998+ Camaros are LS1 based. And a LT1 T-56 WONT work on the LS1 engine. SOOOO, I'm hoping he is just confused and it is infact for an LS1. He said he doesnt have the tranny on hand and he's trying to trade it for a friend. So that MAY explain the confusion. I told him to make sure it is from an LS1 camaro and we'll have a deal. He's got a buddy who works for GM so I should have a straight answer tomorrow hopefully!!!

I AM PRAYING that it's the right one or else I am in for a LONG haul on getting the right tranny and selling this Vette one.

Maybe, even if it's a camaro LT1 tranny, I could do the trade anyway and then sell the LT1 tranny. I think it would be easier to get rid of than the Vette one, but I'll just have to wait and see what's up. I"M DYING for a response... the anticipation is killing me since my swap is scheduled to start in less than 2 weeks!!!!

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!!! And if you can't do that, then try to find me a buyer for this Vette tranny and a seller for an F-body LS1 T-56!!!! smile.gif