HybridZ

Knocking on stock boost

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with my 82ZXT. At WOT it will pull fine to about 3500rpm then hit a "wall" and by 4300rpm it will start to knock. This is on stock boost btw. I can hit full boost so long as the revs are below 3500, but after that, it just dies. I have cleaned all my contacts and messed with the ECU connections as well. Vacuum is reading at 19" in Park and 16 in Drive. Light throttle cruising is fine, but i did notice that at 3700 revs my A/F gauge (the non wideband ones) will read lean unless I back out of the throttle and then resume. I'm guessing it's either the pump, regulator or TPS? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

John 82ZXT

• 4 weeks later...

It was runnning like this for about 3 weeks. I finally got rid of the problem last night after spending about 7 hours trying different things and after I got done talking to a friend at a local street legals event. (I think my neighbors hate the sound of my Z after hear it rev over and over!) :lol:

To keep things short, the things I did right before I got it to run well were: adjusting the TPS, tightening the fuel injector screws (they loosened up somehow, now I get a full 20" in P with the motor warmed up), rewired the O2 wire with about 10 inches of fresh wiring to the ECU pin, adjusted my AFM to run richer (was at 18 clicks leaner for the 370cc injectors, now it's sitting at 13).

On cold startup, the motor is a tad rough, but after about a minute it clears up and runs. I took it out on some empty back roads and tested it from 1st-D revving to 6200 in each gear and it didn't sputter or hesitate. Ran and pulled hard all the way through each gear. Boost was able to be increased to 10 psi with no problem and I am able to powerbrake again without having the car sputter or fall on its face. The A/F gauge reads rich now at freeway speeds like its supposed to. I hope this can help give you some ideas. Before I got it to run right, I could not go to WOT at all, and going uphills was a challenge as occassionally I would get a misfire, especially when the car was cold.

John 82ZXT