HybridZ

Can I get a better auto trans. for my 280zxt?

Guest 2slo4u

Guest 2slo4u

Is there a better automatic transmission that will work on the 280zx turbo other than the starion? I don't want to have to do that much modification just for an auto. If I have to I'll just change to the t-5 standard. Don't like cruising at 3500 rpm and onlyb 70 mph while civics and hyundais cruise by at 85 to 90 mph effortlessly. :(

Tanks for any advice yoos geyes

I don't know of any...

You do realize that the auto will accelerate faster than the T5?

From what I recall, there is not that much modification involved - just obtaining the parts and putting them together.

The only reasl mod is the tranny bracket needs to be engineered - I think the article out there said he used the original bracket and fabricated the mounts.

I myself have an '83ZXT w/T5, and if I were no building a '75 V8 Auto project would seriously consider swapping to automatic, because I hate Atlanta traffic and stick. ZI originally bought the car w/only 8 miles to work - later 1.5.

Guest 2slo4u

Yeah, thanks Brad. I do like the way the auto accelerates, but I don't like cruising at such a high rpm. I would like to be able to cruise at 100mph with a relatively low rpm. I know the car can run all day long at a high rpm but don't want such bad mileage and I like more room for top speed. :twisted:

As far as I know you can use the 83-84 4spd auto overdrive from a Maxima or an 84 AOD from a 300zx. I believe you only have to change the bell housing and the perhaps the converter to work with the L28ET. 240Z Turbo has adapted a GM (powerglide?) to his engine. His kit may work for others as well.

Edit: I forgot about the tranny mount.

Guest 2slo4u
:idea: How about usiing a 2speed rear end? Someone told me about that while I was in Mississippi. I've heard of those but only on drag cars or high performance muscle rods? Any one else heard of those?

I'm not sure about the 300ZX tranny, I don't think it will bolt to the maxima bellhousing.

The Starion tranny was designed for boost/high hp applications.

I used to have a Conquest until someone rear-ended it and then got a Sttarion ESIR - both 5 speeds though...Loved 'em!