HybridZ

1971 240Z push button starter

Guest RCNSC

Guest RCNSC

Im trying to wire up a push button starter in the Z. Its a '71 240. I unplugged the little group of wires from the starter switch and I cut the black/yellow and green/white ones according to the wiring diagram I was looking at. It didnt work. Ok.... so I broke the black with the switch and reconnected the green/whites and it worked but only with the key on the start position. I want the button to start the car when the key is in the "run" position.

I know a lot of you guys have em, so how do I wire it?

Guest 305240

I don't know the color, but it's the wire going to the small terminal on your solinoid. I'd put the push button switch where the cig lighter goes. Use the cig lighter wire to one side of the push button switch, then a wire to the solonoid terminal. Don't worry about pulling lots of juice, it won't because all you are doing is making a contact in the solinoid.

Guest RCNSC

Im going to put the switch where the fog light switch goes (above hazard lights) but Im still confused....

and my cig. lighter is disconnected so I dont know whats going on there..

Can you clear up what your saying?

Guest 305240

If my memory serves me correctly. but don't count on it. ( I don't lol) You should have the large cable going from batt to starter, then another wire from the same place where the batt cable is connected. This goes into the car to run everything else. There is another small terminal that the wire goes on to actually engage the starter via solonoid. You running a chevy or a ford? The wire for the fog lights should give you enough juice to activate the solonoid. I would use the cig lighter wire though if it were me. I had the same set up on my 81 done by the PO. I cleaned the ignition switch with deoxit and now it works fine. I disconnected the push button switch.

Guest RCNSC

Thanks for the replies. It helped a little, but Im a little confused.

Basically, the ignition switch has to break the connection to the starter motor until the key is in the "Start" position, right?

I bought a switch that does the same thing (its a button, push in it completes the circuit, release and it breaks it)..... so is this that hard to do?

There are 5 wires that go to the ignition switch. Black/Yellow, Black/White, White/Red, Blue/Red, Green/White. Shouldnt the ingnition switch just give power to one of those and that goes the the starter motor? So which is the power and which goes to the starter motor? :?:

BTW, the car is getting an L28/E31 so its not amazingly hybrid but all the wiring is OEM.

Here is how my 72 works. I am sure your 71 is the same.

The power wire is wht/red. Don't remove it from switch but tap into it and run to one side of PB switch.

Then you can cut the blk/yel and the grn/wht, then attach both of those on the other side of PB switch.

The blk/yel will then send pwr. to the starter solenoid. And the grn/wht will then send pwr. to the coil.

The key will have to be in the run position to start.

What I have given you above is what the ign. sw. does normally in the start position.

Guest RCNSC

Thanks for the reply. Now if the black and green ones dont go back to the ign switch everything else will still work right? Access and stuff..... Im out to work on it now.

Guest RCNSC

srgunz - Thanks, it works. Problem..... the key doesnt have to be in the ignition which is what I wanted. I don't want my car stolen. Any ideas?

Guest 305240

3 rotwilers, 2 dobermans, and a shotgun out the window. If a thief wants it bad enough, they will get it. Just make it as painful as you can when they do take it.

RCNSC- Thinking about what you said, yes I believe it would start without the key. However as soon as you release the button it should immediately shut off. Is that what you are talking about? The only way it should keep running is to have a key in ign. and have it turned to the run position.

To kill the power to the start button, install a on/off toggle sw. ahead of the PB sw. That should take care of everything.

I used a Hotronics quick flip master battery disconnect that has a hidden remote toggle switch that kills all power from the battery as a theft deterrent. The starter button is mounted in the cigarette lighter hole. One side of the button has a hot wire I pulled in and the other side is connected to the original starter wire that goes to the starter solinoid. You could just pull another wire between the button and the soloinoid. Now the only way the car can be started and ran is for the master disonnect switch to be toggled on.

Hotronics: http://www.hotronicsproducts.com

714-971-8543

Miles

If you pull out your ignition there are two screws on the back, take the back piece off, now look at where the plug with all the wires goes into it, you can see that it should be labeled what wires do what(ie b for bat and so on), and look a few posts down, I just installed one in my vehicle with some extra security :lol: you can see pics here http://photos.yahoo.com/steven_esworthy in the z car folder