HybridZ

A few questions

I am researching the wiring of the l28et into my 76' 280z. I have all other wire splices and where they go down except when it comes to the fuel pump. Off the FP relay I have a green wire which splits off into two wires one goes to a plug in the back of the car and another goes to a plug near the EFI relay, do I need to do anything with any of these?

Then I have a blue with red stripe wire that goes into the plug by the EFI relay I dont think I do anything with this do I? Then theres a black wire which I beleive is a ground right? Then the black wire with a white strip, this wire was cut on my harness, does any one know where it goes, I think it goes into the plug by the EFI relay but Im not sure.

I also have a question about the plug that goes back by the fuel pump. It has a green wire going to it and a black shielded wire, where do these go.

Sorry for the long post but Im stuck at this point and dont know how to go about it.

Thanks John

Hey John. I sent you an email with a schematic. Hopefully this will help you out a little. Suggestion on the fuel pump wiring - ground the fuel pump to the chassis right near it, and run a new thicker gauge wire to your pump from the relay. Also, another suggestion, eliminate the fuel pump modulator. You will be doing this anyhow if you take the ground and new feed wire suggestion i made. If i get a some time this weekend, i'll dig up some technotes i made when wiring the relays and post them. Sorry i couldn't be more of a help at the moment.

So I can run the green wire to power the fuel pump and ground the black shielded wire near the pump and this will work? This will also eliminate the fuel pump modulator?

Also In this diagram, http://www.hvmparts.com/dc/TurboZ-WiringDiagram-DRAFT-1.jpg, would I now not have to run a wire from the pump to the connector on the Zx harness, also is the shielded wire the one that has a gray cover over a black wire.

Thanks alot Jersey, I think I am on the right track now.

I would really apreciate those tech notes, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks John

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya John. Not sure if you've got it all figured out but, i pulled out some notes and the FSM. You have 4 wires going to the fuel pump relay - Green, White/Black, Black and Blue/Red.

Green - 12v output from the relay and suppies the fuel pump and air regulator, which is why you found it split.

White/Black - 12v relay supply wire. Hot at all times. This ties in with the Brown fusable link wire that directly connects to the battery through a fusable link (or fuse if you eliminated the pita fusable links) and also supplies the Ignition with 12v constant.

Black - Ground. This ties in with a bunch of grounds (EFI relay, pins 109, 107, 112, 113 off the ECM) and also connects to a yellow/blue that went to the speed sensor on the ZXT. You could just gound this right near the relay if it's easier.

Blue/Red - 12v relay trip wire. Goes to pin 16 on the 2x10 ECM plug.

Back at the pump, you connect the green to the pump positive, cut the Black with the shield and ground them back near the pump. By grounding these, you will be eliminating the fuel pump modulator. In the FSM, it states the modulator controls the voltage to the pump by monitoring varies conditions like rpm, HTS and injectors, and reduces the voltage to the pump when these sensors are aren't calling for a lot of fuel which quiets the pump and reduces power consumption of the pump. I'm not exactly sure how it does this through the ground wire (resistance i'm assuming) but i wanted full voltage to my pump at all times, so i just eliminated it. You can do it whatever way you think is best and i can get you the wiring on the modulator if you need it. Any other suggestions...ummm... why your back there wiring the pump, why not through a higher pressure pump in, like the Walbro or MSD? I'm not sure of your HP goals but if you like lots of boost :twisted: this is going to be needed to be upgraded at sometime. Just a thought. Good luck. Hope this long winded post helped some. Someday i'll have the entire wiring crossover posted. Just need TIME!

Thanks alot Jersey, you answered my question to the bone. I will not be using the fuel pump modulator so that makes it alot easier. I probably will be upping the boost so I may go with walbro fuel pump.

Thanks again man, your a lifesaver or should I say time saver

John

No sweat. I know what it was like when i was doing my swap. Just want it running! lol. I like my Walbro 255lph. We used the MSD 2225 in my cousins 280 and it seems to be fine, just a bit noisier and i've read in the past few days of a couple of failing. I like MSD, dont get me wrong, i just wanted to give you a heads up. Anyway, good luck and any more questions, just ask. These guys on the board are good :)