HybridZ

How to put 280Z tail lights on a 240Z?

Guest RCNSC

The sheetmetal under the tailpanel is completely different from 240's to 280's. I would think the best way to do it would be to cut off an entire rear panel and weld it onto your 240. I would think this is the only way that the pieces would fit right and seal properly.

But hey, what do I know about swappin' taillights? :lol:

Paul Newman raced this Bob Sharp 240Z as a 280Z in the 70s. The only difference was the 280Z tail light panel (and a 2.8L motor), so yes, it can be done. As Dan said, probably the whole underlying rear sheet metal was swapped. Next time I see this car (I know the owner), I'll take a closer look.

Pete

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

Guest RCNSC

I was just checking out how cheap they were and thought it'd be an easy mod, but for all that work - no thanks. They don't look that good.

Thanks for the info.

I put some 240 pannells on the back of my 260 (like the 280 taillights) to see what needed to be done, several of the plasic rivits matched up on top and I guess the lenses would have been a bit of work to seal off completely, but they would fit in the larger 280 holes. So I am pretty sure you can put 240 lights in a 280 with no sheet metal rework due to the larger holes in the 280 rear pannels.

I can only guess the oposite is required when going the other way, putting the larger 280 lights in a 240 rear...