HybridZ

Check This Hybrid..500cu.in Caddy Motor in a Corvair..no 56k

slownrusty

You guys will enjoy this.....a very close friend of mine has been working on this '67 Corvair for just over two years. Next year it will be done. It will be powered by 500cu.in Caddy Eldorado motor punched out to 509cu.in.

Car was a east coast car with lots of cancer, so Doug (the ownerbuilder) drastically removed everything rotten and replaced it all with metal and then re-inforced the car extesively.

There is an extensive amount of work done to the car, but I will let the pics speak for themselves. The car will be eventually twin turbocharged.....!!!! Take a look at the hand made side scoops, that will house one (Ron Davis) aluminum radiator per side.

60242044.jpg

60242048.jpg

The box below will house the Wilwood pedal box and twin brake resevoirs and the frame that you see in the middle is for one of the THREE Ron Davis radiators.

60242051.jpg

60242053.jpg

60242204.jpg

60242084.jpg

Check the tunnel to house all the electrical and radiator hoses, misc lines. Notice how the floor is moved up and forward to be more comfortable once the Corbeau racing seats are installed:

60242190.jpg

60242065.jpg

60242063.jpg

60242060.jpg

Where the 20gallon fuel cell will be housed:

60242079.jpg

60242074.jpg

Check out the breast plate infront of where the engine will sit and the truss re-inforcement:

60242071.jpg

60242057.jpg

The 509cu.in beast, fuel cell and 17" Colorado Custom wheels (10" rear, 7" front, 285/40 front, 225/45 front!!) with offset Currie diff and rear discs:

60242277.jpg

60242224.jpg

60242212.jpg

60242209.jpg

Serpentine Belt adapted and modified off a F150!. TH400 tranny, huge valves, ported cast heads, will have custom made headers, Edelbrock Performer intake, MSD distributor and igntion. Take a peak at the engine mounts too:

60242237.jpg

60242254.jpg

60242266.jpg

Enjoy - Yasin

GREAT GOD IN HEAVEN!!!! :shock::twisted::rockon::hail:

so i'm assuming he has a pilot's license? :lol: that's phenomenal, he's practically remaking the entire car! i see he still has the caddy bellhousing attached... is he adapting the th400 to fit that or is he coming up with something completely custom?

keep us posted... this one really has me intrigued!!!

My first two cars were Corvairs. A '65 Corsa and a '66 Monza. I wrapped the first one around a tree on a mountain road. I alway's dreamed of the Chevy V-8 mid engine conversion which was popular in the 70's. Pulling along-side one when I was a teenager, I actually talked the guy into giving me a ride after he heard my enthusiasm for V-8 'vairs. It had the engine cover off of the 327 with 2 four barrel carbs sucking air behind our heads. Pretty cool stuff for a teenager. Not as radical as your friend's car though.

Funny I saw this. My dad has a 75' caddy with the 500 in it. We've done a couple burnouts but not any real big ones. So my dad says lets see how smokey this thing can make it back here, so I hold the brake and let it open the tires start to spin and all four barrells kick in on the carb. So I repeat this process another two times. I stop go to park the car and I hear sirens, mind you this was behind my dads shop on pavement were nobody could see us. So these sirens are comming my way. turns out to be the fire dept. guess I know the answer to my dads question "smokey enough to alert the fire dept". Six fire trucks in total about 30 fire men, guys were pretty easy going about it, guess I wont be trying that again.

So to say the least those caddy motors have some serious power!

Z-REX - Doug is keeping the entire FWD Caddy Eldorado set-up incl. the tranny which wraps around to the side of the engine. The drive shaft will only be a few feet long and the Currie diff is designed to rotate backwards of course.

Doug wanted to push the envelope and I think he has successfuly done that, the car has so much trick stuff on it, its mind boggling to absorb it all in one sitting.

Yes even though it will be just carb'd and have cast heads, this engine will make power that will be mind blowing and torque to pull an oil tanker.

More to come!

Regards - Yasin

...and with corvairs weighing, what, nothing.... granted, all the metal work and reinforcement's gonna add weight, and a cad big block is just a tad bigger than the stock engine... ah, who cares? that thing is gonna be so fast! :shock:

Funny this should pop up right now.. I'm doin the exact same thing with a 472 caddy motor for a friend but it isnt going into a corvair.. haha

Can you say fiero? haha... with a b-i-g b-l-o-c-k

Too funny I cant belive what ive gotten myself into lol

Pics to come soon hopefully, thm425 (4.1 still attached) is ready to be pulled from the donor car within the next few days and we should be pickin the motor up next week end

I love it when my freinds try to 1up my car junkie/project habits.. lol

I'm gonna need to raise the bar a little bit.. Im thinking the lt1 into my bros 510 should keep him quiet

Sam

on a side note.. anyone need any spare parts from an 80 something caddy? we also have a set of brand new bare 4.5 heads that need a good home. Thanks

Guest RCNSC
Funny this should pop up right now.. I'm doin the exact same thing with a 472 caddy motor for a friend but it isnt going into a corvair.. haha

Can you say fiero? haha... with a b-i-g b-l-o-c-k

Too funny I cant belive what ive gotten myself into lol

Pics to come soon hopefully' date=' th425 (4.1 still attached) is ready to be pulled from the donor car within the next few days and we should be pickin the motor up next week end

I love it when my freinds try to 1up my car junkie/project habits.. lol

I'm gonna need to raise the bar a little bit.. Im thinking the lt1 into my bros 510 should keep him quiet

Sam

on a side note.. anyone need any spare parts from an 80 something caddy? we also have a set of brand new bare 4.9 heads that need a good home. Thanks[/quote']

What year/model Fiero is it going in? You using any conversion kits or what? My first car (240 is my second) was a Fiero SE and I always wanted to do that but it was unrealistic with my very limited know how and budget.

216412_15_full.jpg

Back on topic:

I don't know a bunch about the old front drive Caddies so help me out. If he is using the original transaxle but then firing one of the axles back to a conventional (albeit with a highly offset diff) live axle, then what is he doing with the other axle stub?

EDIT: Opps, those engines were mounted longitudely (sp). Soooo, is there a separate diff mounted directly to the tranny in the stock configuration that your buddy removed? Maybe another pic of the motor from the other side would help.

It would be nice to see a pic of the motor from the differential/output side like Dan mentioned.. Was that a thm425 style trans modified to have an output shaft or just another stlye trans all togeather?

RCSNC- Its going into a 86GT. Are there any kits availible for this swap? I know its been done a few times befor but I didnt think there was the support behind it like some of the 350 swaps.

Hopefully we'll get some pics up of the project up on here and/or pennocks.. we havent been taking nearly enough so far, thats for sure.

Sam