HybridZ

Thoughts After Taking Out Dash

Guest Mateo

Guest Mateo

Hello Hybrid Z members,

I haven't posted in a long time with my first posts considering a V8. Well, due to some family problems I haven't been working on the car until earlier this month :( But now thats all settled I have been POR-15ing the interior rust spots which consisted of the floorpans and the spare tire well. To finish out the base interior Im planning to Dynamat the firewall and that meant taking out that dash. After completion, I started thinking of other things when it was gone. I know this is "well now that I got that out of the way, im gonna do this" syndrome, but I think the following thoughts need some serious consideration with some outside thought.

1.Wires

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY?! After disconnecting like a hundered of them, I got to thinking something must be over done here. So while the interior is nearly all stripped why not just go ahead and get a painless wiring kit Ive heard so much about and rewire the car. Is it hard to rewire a car? Or is it just more time consuming than anything? Any good books I should purchase to help me understand or aid me in doing this?

2.AC

One of my big goals is to have a fully operational AC. Now my car didn't come with AC becuase its a 1972. Whats the best way of getting AC into the car thats going to be a V8? Could I say adapt one out of a junked later model car that still has one running with a compressor specifically for a 350? Has anyone done this before?

3.Dash

My dash is in pitiful shape. It has 4 huge cracks running through it and when lifting out the dash, it just crumbles. I could get it restored for big money which I don't have or get a dash cap. How do those dash caps look? Whats the best way of mounting one? Cheapest place to find one?

Thanks

Matt

Well, I may be able to help with the 3d thing.. I don't know for sure, but if the car is still around, I may be able to get you a near MINT dash from a 72. I pulled some parts of this car a few months ago, and I'm hoping to get back soon to grab a few more. I dono where you're located.. (Im in Ontario Canada btw) but Im sure I could grab this dash for the same $$$ you'd be looking at spending on a cap.. Actualy, I think the guy who owns the car is on here (I told him about the site when I was up there pulling parts. Nice guy actually..) but I don't know his username.. I think he posted a for sale add a few months back... I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.

Some thoughts about the A/C.

Some early 240z's had factory air... I'm not talking about the dealer add ons, but the real thing. There is a thread on this somewhere on this site, with some part numbers.

Courtesy Nissan and some others offer a complete add on that is based upon the dealer add ons from 1970-1974. These are "blow through" units and will have a small pod attached to the console with a/c controls. I see these all the time in our local JY. If you buy them as salvage they will be setup to use the older refridgerant.. not the newer stuff. May or may not be a problem.

If you do a search on air conditioning you will find a wealth of information relating to how to improve these early add on a/cs.

Here's what my a/c will consist of: Condensor from a 280z (It bolts right in, but all a/c lines enter and exit from driver's side); the evaporator (the part in the car) is an older dealer add on with a replacement valve to allow use of the newer refridgerant; compressor is stock for my engine. All hoses are custom cut to fit. The advantage to the older deal add ons is that the pieces will fit around your fan and if you find a complete unit you won't have to worry too much about fabrication.

If I were independently wealthy, I would have ordered a complete Vintage Air compact a/c. They will fit, but will require some fabrication skills.

I suggest you contact Vintage Air (there are several other firms in competition and you can locate them from advertisments in any Street Rod magazine) and order their catalogue. They have a newer more improved compact a/c heater that is very small. Check their prices and construct a cardboard model using their size specifications. If the mockup works, the real unit will too.

Have fun and a cool day.

g