HybridZ

Yes! It got it to spin

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

I took a 12 gauge wire and connected it from the positive lead to the ignition lead and the starter spun! (The screwdriver never worked so whenever I finally got some wire I tried using that and it worked) however...Whenever it spins the engine starts but it doesn't stay on. Not enough oil pressure I assume? Also, Owen advised me to get a ford style starter solenoid. Do you think that will fix this starter problem?

Ok what I am getting from all the info that you have supplied is that either, 1. your wiring from your igintion switch is bad or 2. your igntion switch is bad.

I know you said you replace the wiring from the ignition switch to the "S" terminal but you never said if you replaced all the wiring or just the part that is in the engine compartment?

Oh and when you are using that wire to start it do you have the key in teh "ON" position? Cause if not then, no your car will not stay started.

Atleast now you know its not the starter or the solenoid. Oh and moving the solenoid will not fix your problem. Although it wont hurt it either to move it away from the exhaust heat.

Guy

is this a new set up or existing ?

once you let the key go, and it is in the on position, the electricity should continue to travel to the coil, this keeps the engine running. turn the switch to the off position, removes the electricity, engine shuts off.

you need to find out, why there is no electricity to the coil, or if you have ignition component problems.

as it starts and runs as long as you are cranking, i think it's the wiring or switch. unless you have an on board computer.

IF ELECTRONICS< OR COMPUTER CONTROLLED< CHECK 1st B4 DOING THIS

run a wire from the pos side of the batt to the pos side of the coil ( on eside goes to the dizz, the other to battery, connect the jumper wire to the side that doesn't go to the dizzy ), use an aligator clip, so you may be able to disconnect it quickly, if need be.

this will by pass the ignition switch, a constant hot to the coil.

crank engine over, if your other components are okay, you should now have spark at the plugs, after the key is moved from start to on. engine should stay running.

if not, you have issues with your components ... points out of adjustment, bad cap, bad electronics, bad coil, ect.

good luck, wayne