HybridZ

Cam Oiling

sonomaz

:? Time to exercise the Brain. '72 240Z, original block and head rebuilt to stock level. The block number matched the ID plate on the side of the engine compartment so I didn't have the heart to do a swap. Anyway I did upgrade the camshaft to a Crane version and the cam is gun drilled and crossed drilled through the lobes for oiling. The stock head uses the spray bar. So, do I ditch the spray bar and block off the holes or do I leave it and hope the cam does not take all the oil from the spray bar, or does it matter? By the way I did have the head oil supply hole at the top of the block opened up to 0.125 inches. :?::?::?::confused2:

:roll: Most everyone I know will tell you to keep the spray bar on it. Both cams can use it. I have used it on both and haven't had any problems with it. Some of us have had cams with the holes, go bad on them, because the holes were not done right. Most of the books out there will tell you to keep it on. The head and upper lubrication system doesn't use that much oil. Check the size hole in the block for the oil passage to the head. It isn't that big and most people will tell you that it doesn't need to be drilled out to a bigger size. So it shouldn't be affected by the holes in the cam. The spray bar will give you that extra protection if the cam isn't done right. The lifters will wear out pretty fast without the proper lubrication. But the final decision is up to you, Good Luck, Rich.