HybridZ

T-56 Short Throw Shifter Needed.

buZy

Hey does anyone a know of a good aftermarket short throw shifter for the T-56 six speed manaul tranny? The stock one is not so hot. Sloppy slow shifting, missed shifts between 2nd and 3rd etc. Not good.

What I do like about the stock shifter is that I can bolt on my custom length chrome stick and shift knob to the shifter itself.

Would like to find a new shifter with this same stock bolt on stick characteristic but in a 'short throw' mechanical action.

The T-56 in my 240Z is out of a 97 Camaro.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

I use a B&M Ripper shifter and a hurst white Q-ball knob with the 6 speed shift layout and it looks very cool with the white face gauges. I thought it was a lot of money until I drove the car, then I really appreciated the short firm direct shifts. There are 3 sets of washers that allow the shifter to be moved slightly forward, centered or set back. I used the setback position and for me it is a very comfortable feel. I got my setup from Summit Racing.

PRO 5.0 also makes a very, very stout shifter. Adjustable etc. I am very happy with mine. I think the B&M and the PRO-5.0 are the most popular after market shifters.

(edit: here is a pic of the pro 5.0 with a swept handle.)

shifter3.jpg

Sorry, part # was only on the invoice which has long been buried. Here is what you need to know. If your tranny is from an F-body (Camaro etc.) ask for that one. The Mustang version uses a different lower plate. You can order through Jegs and that part # is:

813-P3000 1993-02 Camaro/Firebird T-56 $199.99

I paid less from a speed shop in Florida, but that was kind of a wierd deal. Ebay.

Pro50.com sells them with a straight handle for $209