HybridZ

Anyone running eclipse or other 'drop right in' injectors?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Now that I got my intercooler, I've been looking into also getting more fuel. I read the sticky at the top of the page, but one thing that was not really mentioned more than a couple times, was which injectors are truly 100% 'drop in' and which ones you need a custom fuel rail, or need to modify, or whatever. The eclipse injectors caught my attention most since it seems they are supposed to be VERY cheap... but do I need to mod anything to get them in? The only two things that have kept me from upgrading my injectors up until now has been price, and the fact that I dont want to have to futz with them... on my car, anything that needs to be futzed with, is gonna cause problems.

If not the eclipse, are there any other injectors in the 370cc + range that you guys know can be had for cheap and are a direct bolt in, no mod necessary replacement?

They aren't drop in but it takes less than 5 minutes to make 6 of them drop in. You can use the Eclipse O ring injectors with a hose. I cut back some of the plastic to expose more of the metal, only took seconds. This way there is enough room for the hose clamp to fit in front of the ridge for the O ring. I run them as additional injectors on 2 different motors and haven't had any issues. 370cc isn't much of an upgrade.

Guest bastaad525

any chance of getting some pics of what you need to do to make those injectors usable? 370cc's would be more than enough for what I need... and eclipse injectors are really cheap and plentiful..

Now that clifton mentions it... the 370cc and eclipse are both o-ring style, and the minor mods needed to fit the 370cc should work on the eclipse, or most other injectors of the same style as well.

Search and ye shall find.

Guest bastaad525

heheh I know I know... actually I did search and found a few posts a while back that I think gave descriptions of how to mod them, but no pics. I'm a visual person... better to see than to read... too much room for me to misinterpet from written words and screw something up. I'll search again though... really would like to see some pics of how these things need to be modified.

I have another question though... does anyone have any idea how much fuel pressure you can force thru stock injectors? I mean, if I decide to do like I've been planning all along and just buy an adjustable FPR instead... how much extra would be needed to really make the difference and bring my 13:1 A/F ratio down into the low to mid 12's? How much can the injectors take?

Adjustable FPR still way cheaper and easier to do, if it will provide me enough fuel for 13psi of boost after the intercooler, still probably my better option.

I'm a visual person... better to see than to read...

I have another question though... does anyone have any idea how much fuel pressure you can force thru stock injectors? I mean' date=' if I decide to do like I've been planning all along and just buy an adjustable FPR instead... how much extra would be needed to really make the difference and bring my 13:1 A/F ratio down into the low to mid 12's? How much can the injectors take?

Adjustable FPR still way cheaper and easier to do, if it will provide me enough fuel for 13psi of boost after the intercooler, still probably my better option.[/quote']

I took a couple of pics. One with plastic on it, and the piece that came off one of them. The other after.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clifton_ragland/detail?.dir=/3e8b&.dnm=c23d.jpg

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clifton_ragland/detail?.dir=/3e8b&.dnm=cce9.jpg

You can get more fuel through the injector by raising the fuel pressure but not enough to make it worth it doing. I was running 50 psi static, 67 psi at 17 psi of boost on my 7M with 440's to keep from running lean. It was still barely enough. I set it back to stock (36 psi) and added 2 more 450's and I can now have enough margin to get it down to a 10:1 afr. You will also need a pump that can supply high pressure and volume. I run a Walbro, don't know what you are running but a stock pump won't put out 60+ psi.

Guest bastaad525

Perfect... thanks for those pics Clifton that's exactly what I needed to see... and yeah that looked nothing at all like I imagined when I read others' descriptions of what needed to be done. Looks way easy... always good :D

So this is exactly what would need to be done to run the eclipse OR svo injectors? Thinking I'm gonna be getting eclipse ones if I do go this route... they seem more abundant and oh so cheap.

As for fuel pressure, I'm running the MSD fuel pump... forget what it was rated for but definatley much better than stock, I remember some people here had done some comparisons and the MSD was a bit behind the Walbro, performance wise, but not by a whole lot... the number I do remember is that the MSD was rated to handle up to like 600hp.

(Bastaad) I also just finished hanging my large NPR intercooler and looking to upgrade the injectors. So far I have confliciting stories some saying you CAN run the Eclipse Injectors with a stock Air Flow Meter, and as always some saying you can't. Would someone please Set it straight from their OWN experience.

thanks

jvanen

Well here's my .02 Im pretty sure that you have to adjust your afm. I dont think its too tricky. Im in a hurry so I dont have time to search for ya but if you or someone finds the link to the thread about adjusting your afm please post it. I just got the 370cc svo injectors but saving for a fuel rail adjustable fpr new fuel pump and a good cleaning before I actually get to install them.

Guest bastaad525

you should be able to use any 370cc injectors with the stock AFM, I know for a fact there's more than a few guys running the SVO's with stock AFM, and if I remember right the common adjustment was to turn the AFM spring tension gear 18 teeth clockwise, to accomodate 370cc injectors. I know Jersey did his exactly like this and says it runs great, both on boost, and just regular driveability, and his EFI is stock otherwise.

Guest bastaad525

I'd bet you could run 450's on the stock EFI, might be hard to get it running 'perfect' in all conditions.. or it might not be. You can definately tighten the AFM spring more than 18 teeth on the gear and lean it out even more...