HybridZ

your thoughts on engine setup

Guest sb400z

I'm trying to get some ideas on building my 400. It currently is stock with an RV cam and 8.25:1 compression (still fun, pulls on my 95 M3, but i crave more). All I've done so far is a Holley 750 double pumper (overkill for now I know), and a Weiand intake manifold. I'm planning on possibly getting some Dart Pro1's with a single plane intake, and go higher compression with a fairly aggressive cam, or go the turbo route. If i go turbo, I know i need the lower compression, and I will get more weight in the front from an intercooler and all the piping. Plus, i don't know what to use for the valvetrain and heads with the turbo setup. If any of you have experience with either route, I would appreciate the advice. Oh yeah, its going to be my every day car, but as long as it runs on 91, i'm fine.

Actually, you'll be doing yourself a favor whatever route you take.

First, just getting some better heads with a smaller cc will bump your compression up to a more reasonable level. That could possibly net you 50 hp to 100 hp more with the compression ratio near 10:1 over your 8.25:1. Your current compression is killing you, period. Get some decent heads and be done with it.

If you turbocharge, you WON'T need to lower your compression. Just make sure you run forged pistons for insurance. A forged crank would be good too, but don't forged 400 cranks get kind of pricey?

Just remember---going the turbo route will net you more potential streetable horsepower, BUT it will cost more converting to EFI, etc.

Since you have cubes already, get a good set of heads that will lower your compression and be done with it.

Davy

I agree, I'm an NA guy just for ease of use and HP on the cheap. A turbo would be great, but to do it right, on paper it starts to add up really fast :(

If you were to go turbo, I'd probably just sell off the powerplant and start fresh with something else, and I am pretty sure you'd do better for the $ that way.

So if I go NA, do you all know what cam would work well with the Dart's. Say i get a decent cam now, will i want an even more aggressive one when i get the heads, or will they work well since its going to be a street(75%)/strip(25%) car?