HybridZ

5.0 in a 82 280ZX? how hard can it be?

Guest zmettler

Guest zmettler

how difficult is it to swap in a 5.0 into a 82 280ZX . Also what type of problems might i run into in the rear suspension area? any info would be a life saver.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't but one or two members with the S130 SBF swap. Perhaps one of them will see this post and chime in. In the mean time, if you've got the R200 rear end, you should be fine as far as the differential goes, but will be better off with the ZX Turbo half-shafts (these use CV joints) installed instead of the U-jointed half-shafts.

Zmettler,

Go to the post "help me before I screw up again". There are plans for the motor mounts for a 5.0 in a 280Z. There are some pics of the mounts also under "pics of mounts and 5.0 motor". I've been driving my 77 with a 302 and these mounts for about 15 yrs. now. You will have to use a remote oil filter, "tight tuck" street rod headers and a rear sump pan. These bolt directly onto the motor, where the original motor mount attached and to the Datsun motor mounts. Drop me an e-mail if I can help you.

A buddy of mine put a 302 in his 79 ZX with a similar mount but he dropped it down and moved it back some. He had to remake one of the "tight tuck street rod headers" also. He has recently retired and hopefully I will be able to get him online soon with some pics of his mounts for the ZX.

Adios Amigo,

• 2 months later...
Guest nightrider280zx

well i could use some help with this one, i was thinking about the vg30dett into my 82 280zx, but i also have two 289 race motors, the 289 would be easier for me to swap, but i wouldnt mind having a twin turbo car either. any ideas?