HybridZ

How much power am I losing?

80LS1T

Well the clutch set up in my car is junk. The flywheel has tons of hot spots which is resulting in a lot of clutch chatter! :evil: I knew when I installed the new clutch that I should have gotten a new flywheel but the machine shop said it "should" be fine and I just resurfaced it. :roll: Anyways right now I pretty much just trying to burn up my CF dual friction clutch. I will be pulling the drivetrain soon for paint and I will be installing a new clutch then.

Now since there is so much clutch chatter I can imagine that the knock sensor is "hearing" this and resulting in the timing being pulled back. How much HP/TQ could I loose from this?

Guy

SBC LT1

Guest JAMIE T

Put a resistor in place of the knock sensor. Do a search on camaroz28.com. I did it on my Z28 two years ago. I've not ever hooked the knock sensor back. I did make it so I could swap between the two if I wanted to though. I have cam, long tube headers, roller rockers, etc...

As for how much power your losing? Hard to say. If you have scan master or something similar(I have a scan tool that you can drive and read data), that will tell you if you are ACTUALLY having timing removed. 4th gen F-bodies are notorious for clutch chatter. I have an alum flywheel and SPEC clutch. I have the stage 2 clutch. It's good to 375 lbs/ft of torque I think. FWIW, I've heard the Centerforce DF is poopoo. I've also heard the SPEC is soso. Most guys go with the stage 3. I may go for the stage 4 or 5 next time. I want one that snaps(all or nothing). My stage 2 slips a tiny bit. I'm making over 400 lbs/ft at the crank.

I love the alum flywheel, makes the engine really sing. It will be wicked when I put the engine into my 240Z.

Well the clutch seems to really grab but the flywheel is so burnt that it just chatters like crazy! I could take a little but what I have is rediculous!

I found that info on camaroz28.com. They say to put a 1 watt / 3.9K ohm resistor in place of the knock sensor. Ground one side and connect the other side to the wire for the knock sensor(s). (just posting for future referance for the next guy! :D )

Guy

I had a bad false knock problem with my LT1. I chased it for months, but thanks to the suggestion from Mike (Mas280), I took out the knock sensor, wrapped a crapload of teflon tape around the threads, ran a seperate ground wire from the sensor to the block, and screwed it back in....problem solved.....

I relocated my knock sensor to the boss above the oil filter, so it is much closer to the clutch and is likely getting a lot of false knock that way.....

Well I did the mod tonight when I got home. When I went out for the first test drive I immediatly noticed a power increase. Not only did it feel quicker but it felt a lot smoother. Im not sure if my clutch is slipping now or if my gas tank is just that empty but at about 4500RPMS it feels like its slipping. It was not doing this yesterday thats all I know. I am going to put some more fuel in and then see if its just low on fuel or if the clutch is now slipping due the the extra few ponies that I am now making. All I know is this mod deffinetly helped my car! :D

Guy

I did the resistors for mine.

This mod is just temporary for me. Once I get a new clutch set up in I will reinstall the harness ends back on and connect the sensors. Just as long as it doesnt retart my timing any. I did the resistors for mine.

Guy