HybridZ

Need help finding engine compatibility info (Non Z)

Poundz9oh9

My wifes 96 Cavalier will no doubt eventually leave her stranded. It's got 178,000 miles and counting. I wouldn't be all that worried about it, but it has an EXTREMELY noisy valvetrain. It still has decent power for the car and nothing else seems to be wrong. I just would rather it not leave her stranded.

Anywho........ I've looked all over the internet for compatiblity on what other engines would be a simple stock-for-stock swap, but just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. It seems that the 2.2L from any GM should suffice, but I want to know before I buy something.

Does anybody have a good reference for this type of information? Or can ya point me in the right direction? I just might not be looking in the right places..........Thanks guys!!

Ok.. Im talking on MSN to my GM frined.. He says it should be the same motor as a Sunfire or grand am. After 98, it's the same motor but you need to use your (96) intake and exhast manifolds. A bit of help to if you're doing it yourself, he says when you pull the motor it is easier to pull the tranny with it... just remove the master cylinder from the booster and swing it out of the way. And he says it is 'plug and play' as far as FI/electrical. Hope this helps out.