Guest plainswolf

Ok after many, MANY hours (Days) of Ford searches I have to ask:

Is there anyone who has sucessfully mounted a 302 carbed or FI

that:

Didnt have to cut the steering shaft.

Had header clearance.

Had hood clearance.

All in the same swap?

I saw that one member mounted a sbf with a K-member, that one I liked even though he had to mod his TC brackets for header clearance(I can do that), but it looked as if he may have had to cut his steering shaft though. Thats would be the one thing I would not want to do..

The weight and dimensions of a SBF are far to appealing to ignore and that fact keeps drawing me back. Ideally I would love to have (build) a carbed 302 with about 300HP at the crank, maybe a tad less or more, and have a WC T-5 behind it...

Certainly not the fastest HybridZ but at the same time one hell of an excellent little all around GT type car. And THATS what I'm looking for.

There is a side by side picture comaprison of a SBF to a SBC in the last issue of KitCar magazine where you can really see the dimensional difference between the two.

I guess I'm just looking for the path of least resistance for a SBF swap.

Mark

I have accomplished what you desire with the exception of cutting the steering shaft. Cutting the steering shaft, however should not intimidate you. It was one of the easiest parts of the project.

My engine is mounted as far back and as far down as I could mount it without without removing the stock hood latch. My harmonic balancer sits ~ 1 inch above the steering rack, the engine is centered from side to side, and is tilted back 2.5 degrees relative to the frame. The stock hood clears the intake (EFI).

I use dynomax blockhugger headers and have full dual 2.5" exhaust. The headers just barely cleared the stock T/C brackets.

With the 5.0L and T5 mounted as I have it, the car has 53.6 percent of the weight on the back tires (full of fuel with me in the car).

I have built the car twice. The first time, the car had all the stock body and the engine was mounted using the ford rubber mounts and plates the sandwiched between the frame and front crossmember. The second build of the car (after a nearly head on collision with a '71 GMC) has the motor mounted using a front plate mid-plate arrangement. In both cases the motor was mounted in the same location.

If you or anyone else is interested, I will soon be selling the exhaust system (headers to mufflers), and the modified steering shaft. My next project is going to be the construction of custom 180 degree long tube headers that dump into side pipes.

Guest 305240

I managed to do what you are intending to do also. I made up mounts that use the stock Z mounts. I'm also using the stock exhaust manifolds, not headers. I'm using the stock c-4 tranny. I have a 72 240 and used the stock Z crossmember. I just had to drill 2 holes on either side of the stock one hole for the ford tranny mount. I have plenty of clearence in all places but the oil filter. I've got a filter relocation kit for that. I'll have pics as soon as I get the fabbed mounts welded and painted. I just have them bolted together right now for mock up. With this set up, I believe I have the right degree angle for the driveshaft also. At least I'm hoping I do!

Guest plainswolf

Now relocating the oil filter is no problem at all, and it's especially interesting if you can use the stock Datsun engine mount towers on the crossmember! That would be ideal!.. I guess I'm just a little skittish about mounting on the core support rails..

But I am seriously entertaining the sbf swap, and have been for quite some time. And I work with a couple of Ford gear-heads as well, one used to be a Ford mechanic. I know SBC would be the easiest but DAM- the light weight of the sbf is just tooo much to ignore..

I weighed my late model 260Z at two different places with everything including about 20lbs. worth of extra crap in it, also A/C that came with the car, the big ugly 280 crash bumpers... and both times it came out to 2700lbs. on the nose.... without me in it of course..

If I can ditch the big uglies and their shock mounts, I have a set of 72 240 bumpers I'd love to fab mounts for and use those and eliminate close to 100lbs.? Add abit of structural reinforcement, better wheels, my 3.36 R200 and still be at 2700lbs or less.. I don't think the SBF with aluminum heads, manifold, and waterpump plus T-5 will gain a whole hell of alot of weight over 2700.. Ideally I'd like to keep it at 2800 or below..

But I'd sure be interested in pics of your mounts or even drawings when you can 305240..

Mark

Guest 305240

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it is the 302 weighs less than the original 6 cyl. I wish I had started with a 280 because of the stiffeners the factory built into the body. With the 240 I have to do the stiffening myself. I think the weight trade off is well worth it. Consequently, I won't be using mine to drag with or be doing any burn outs...lol I want to keep my doors aligned and the sides wrinkle free.

As for the 240 bumpers, you might want to consider something. I may catch some flack for this, but here goes. In place of the bumpers, how about an aero kit that eliminates the bumpers? If youare worried about protection, think a second. How much protection do they really offer? I can easily bend them with my hands! But, yes, they do look good. I put an 280 lower valance on mine, so it looks wide open. I'm also going to be running a custom grill. I'm seriously considering the bumperettes in place of the whole bumper.

The wife took the credit card away from me. I've been hounding ebay a lot lately. Damn!

Guest plainswolf

I have considered many things as far as getting rid of those bumpers.. but even with them I will be no worse off than a 240 is..

I'm pretty sure mine does have , for the most part, the 280 chassis because the frame rails run all the way back.. at least alot further than they do an a 240... they also seem abit bigger as well but that could just be me though.. in any case they will be connected if not outright replaced but something abit more robust... in any case I'm not going super high in HP but will be happy having around 280-320...

It would just be nice to mount a 302 up on the stock mounting provisions with some sort of setback arrangement.. sometimes I think I just may end up going chevy but who who knows yet.. I seem determined to get a 302 to fit the way I want..

Guest 305240

Don't give up on the Ford! I had made plans on running a SBC in mine, hence my user name...305240...I had a deal offered to me on a SBF I couldn't pass up. Boy, was I wrong! The engine was junk. Oh well, live and learn. I love the way mine sets in there. To be honest, if I were making a bunch more horsepower, I'd start with a 280 and beef it up some. As far as the mounts go, there is no doubt in my mind that Alsils frame to frame mount is the better one. I'll still probably fab up one of my own that will work without having to cut anything or relocate the engine.

I'm keping a running total of the cost of my swap. So far, I've got a little over 600 bux tied up in it. That includes the cost of the car and my 5.0 I just picked up. Ebay sure saved me a bunch! I have 3 more large spends...sidepipes, driveshaft, and tires. Everything else I about have. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't break 1500.00 I can hear everyone out there laughing...but, I just might make it!

Just keep searching and asking questions. Everyone will give their input on what worked for them. No one says you have to do it a certain way, and I don't think anyone will claim their way is the best. However, I'm sure almost everyone thinks their way was the best for them. I've picked up countless tid bits and info I'm using in my build, as I'm sure others have also. Good luck to ya, and keep the rest of us posted.

The best thing is to just keep the stock Datsun motor cause it fits good in there.

:lol:

Im kidding.. but it's all I've got for now! I have a buddy thats building a Mustang right now (351W..gona be nice) and have been considering a 302 myself.. My buddy wants an 87+ body kit, and we might go splits on a car if it's got a good 302/5 gear in it (I get motor trans, he gets the rest) and its a good deal... I'm looking at riping my 280 apart this winter again, and redoing some of the frame rails (I was learing to weld.. they're not that great! :oops: ) and the front frame section for sure, as it was done kinda crappy before I got the car last year. I'm thinking of rebuilding the Z motor.. swaping in a 5 speed, ect... then I got to thinking.. with the Z driveline out, it's the perfect time to V8! I dono what I'll do yet.. but if it turns out I V8 it, I'm wanting the same things you are. I dont want to cut my hood, and want a stock looking car. I'll see what hapens...