HybridZ

Oil cooler questions??

KG78Z

I am currently installing a turbo engine from an 81zxt into my 78 280Z. The tranny in my 81zxt was an automatic so I have an oil cooler. My main question is where do I put it in my 78. In the 81 it was inside the right fender well but I don't have the room. Where else has anyone put their oil cooler, if they used it. Thanks for any help.

KG78Z

I have mine in the stock location in my ZX. I'm running the MSA air dam which really doesn't provide a direct path for the air to reach the cooler. Even today which it's well over 100* here in "Big D" and after driving for an hour at 80 to 85 mph down hwy 20 with the air on. My oil temp only reached 215* and stablised (sp) which is well within the range of synthic oils. If I do that and then idle for awhile the oil temp will go up.

What I'm saying is that the oil cooler will still get air flow as long as the car is moving. When sitting still it really doesn't matter if you have a direct air path since there is little or no air movent anyway.

I mounted mine infront of the radiator and made some brackets to use the stock holes. I have removed my AC and and also tghe electric fan that sits infront of the condensor.

However, I have now relocated it to a new mount I made it sits between the "Z" and "X":

29827827.jpg

Regards - Yasin