HybridZ

Is this true!?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

Thumbs down!!! What!?

Yeah, there's a kit to mate the 901 to a small block and that rotates the same. It also only can handle 300hp if that and that's with baby'n the car.

To mate a 915 or 930 or G50 the ring gear needs to be flipped, moved to the other side(915,930), or the whole trans needs to be flipped.

So HA! :D

I got it all solved and all the Porschev guys will now bow at my feet!!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted::D

Well' date=' before I got into Z's I was into Porsche's and wanted to build a 914 mid-engine with a small block chevy. Problem is (1 of many) that in order to use a stronger transmission you have to have the ring gear flipped and the case machined. But I was thinking if I just reversed the rotation of the block there would be no need to have the ring gear flipped.

If you don't flip the ring gear you get 5 reverse gears and 1 foward.

Of course I need to do more research but I think I've got most of it solved the guys at golen said the water pump would'nt be an issue but I'm not too sure about that.

Isaac[/quote']

You are trying to go down a path I have already been. Most automotive engines spin in one direction except for the Corvair and Honda 4s. In order to use them with another transmission, you run the engine in reverse rotation to match the tranny. As for the firing order, just reverse it. Another option with these engines and the 914 or VW transaxle is to flip the ring gear but you drastically reduce the life of the gear box.

Isaac, I built 2 914/SBC setups, my own which had a 302SBC and the other a 327. The 914 tranny was built by Porsche and is quite strong but does have a couple of swap issues. 1st gear and the final drive ratio are steep. Combine that with the odd, 1st gear off to the left shift pattern, makes the 1st gear useless. However, with the torque of a SBC in a 2200lb car, skipping 1st gear is actually a blessing. I never used 1st and with a 7000 redline on the 302 I would run up to about 62mph in 2nd. As long as you do not rev it up and dump the clutch like a drag racer, you are OK and the issue would not be breaking the tranny (unless you go for a stout 350) but the clutch not holding up. Only way to go IMO is Kennedy Engineered Products. Let me know if you have any questions on the overall swap itself.

Guest erics660z

Chevy small block water pumps are reverse rotation for all applications with a serpentine belt. So running a v belt on one would work. (Or, conversely running a serpentine drine with a v-belt style pump would work.

I have fixed a couple owner repaired cars with this problem. And installed misboxed ones myself. Reverse rotation marine starters have the beveled edge of the starter drve gear on the opposite edge and run backwards. (I work at a NAPA on an island and sell alot of boat parts.)

A V-8 914 would be FUN. (Occasionally daydreams about a Northstar Fiero.)

Eric

Guest iskone

Scottie, did you use the 901 or 930?

I've read a ton about the vasries Porsche boxes, from what I gather most need to be baby'd somthing I don't like at all.

I'd like a 400hp+ high winder

I can spin the motor backwards but I don't think the ring and pinoin can take it. Even though a Porsche tranny rebuilder told me it would be fine I still have my concerns. I need to talk to more Porsche tranny rebuilders.

I'd say the biggest problem with a 914 SBC swap is there isn't a way to get a 6 speed that can take much power.

Isk

I used the stock '73 901 side-shifter but as I said, I used a 302SBC. I would definitely not recommend anything bigger than a 327 or 400hp. The car wil tip the scales at about 2200lbs and with the estimated 300hp of the stock 302, there was nothing that could run with me and it easily walked away from 930s on the top-end. 400hp would be downright scary and extreme excess. The 930 transaxle will handle anything you can throw at it but I can guarantee it will cost more than the entire swap when you are done will all the mods needed.

I say build a small displacement, high-revving small block and target 300hp, no drag racing starts or speed shifting and you will end up with a great diver and frightening top-end acceleration. Do not go crazy on the engine with big HP as it is just not needed. A 300hp 914-V8 will perform like a 400hp Z-car. Even at a measly 300hp :rolleyes:, it is going to command your respect.

I had an old supercharged Detroit Diesel that would run backward if the tractor bounced off a dock or a curb. ( Ya I was learning.)

2 forward gears.

10 reverse gears.

Dirty air filter.

NO oil pressure.

Guest iskone

Well, I found this guy who runs a 930 backwards. He has only had in the car for 5,000 miles but he drags it a times too. He said he noticed a small "cogging" feel not too long ago. It could be because it's running backwards or it could be the 1,000lb of torque :shock: idd I mention it's elcetric!

http://www.evcl.com/914/index.html

I estimate my weight would be 2500lb. Late 70's model, 911 suspension, brakes, wheels & tires, possible cage, audio(not too much), sound proofing.

I'll build the 914 one day, but anything that even says Porshce is a lot of money. $3,500 for a 4 speed tranny screw that!

As far as the 914 performance all the Porsche V8 guys are trying to tell me that there is now way a V8 Z can keep up :evil: . They must be talking about the old Scarb kits or something. I always feel like I must tell them just how great the Z is :D

• 9 months later...
As far as the 914 performance all the Porsche V8 guys are trying to tell me that there is now way a V8 Z can keep up :evil: . They must be talking about the old Scarb kits or something. I always feel like I must tell them just how great the Z is :D

I am a diehard Porsche fanatic but too many Porsche owners are full of themselves and truly believe their cars are invincible/unbeatable. Now, if the 914-V8 owners made the swap after driving their 4-cyls, you can certainly understand how they "Feel" about the car's performance. OTOH, there are a lot of V8 Zs out there who believe just because they have a "V8" their car is fast. If one of those V8 914s run up against a Z with a 305 or stock 5.0, et al, you can understand where the belief comes from.

Guest iskone
I am a diehard Porsche fanatic but too many Porsche owners are full of themselves and truly believe their cars are invincible/unbeatable. Now, if the 914-V8 owners made the swap after driving their 4-cyls, you can certainly understand how they "Feel" about the car's performance. OTOH, there are a lot of V8 Zs out there who believe just because they have a "V8" their car is fast. If one of those V8 914s run up against a Z with a 305 or stock 5.0, et al, you can understand where the belief comes from.

Yeah some of the Porsche guys are full of it. My boss has a 2002 Boxster I think I'll school him in my 240. **** I'm full of myself LOL.

I havn't done any more research on the 914 build in a long time I got the 240 to worry about. The price of a 914 swap just kept on climbing on every front. I'd still love to do it one day though if I could bring the price down. Building up the dream 240 vs. dream 914 would be a tuff choice if the price was the same.

Isk

Guest iskone

Someone mentioned earlier about straight cut gears. Do you know where I could have gears cut for a tranny that way. Say gears for a 930

Isk