HybridZ

what mods are needed for 300rwhp on 81 zxt?

BIGJIM

i have a pretty stock 81 280zxt. it has an msa adjustable boost controller, adjustable pop off valve and other than that its stock. i would like to make around 300rwhp. besides a good intercooler and more boost, what will it take to get there? injectors, t-body, bigger turbo? will the stock ecu and afm be able to support the hp increase? thanks for the help.

Guest Cronic

Stock turbo is good for about 280whp ideally. So I'd say, secondary injectors, a larger turbo, and a front mount.

Or, nitrous, secondary injectors (or use the nitrous solenoid for fuel) and more boost with a 50 shot. :D and an intercooler.

Get a bigger turbo, intercooler, and better injection. Yes a stock turbo can make 280 hp, but not efficiently. I made 307 corrected, about 299 or so uncorrected on my old set-up, and expect more with the new.

Also, you need a 3 in mandrel bent exhaust with a straight thru muffler, I am telling you, nothing short of NOS makes as much of a difference, and it is the building block for every other mod you will do.

I dropped almost 9/10ths of a second in the 1/4 and picked up 7mph just changing from my sappy whatever exhaust to a 3 inch. I think I ran a 13.5@105, added exhaust, and got down to 12.8's at 112, ended up running 12.65's with DR's, and then swapped turbo's, and ran faster on pump them I ran on race before.

Good luck. Oh and dropping everything into a 240 will shed about 600+ pounds, which makes a HUGE difference.

nah, im leaving it in the zxt for a while...unless i find a 240z that needs nothing but a donor motor and trans. otherwise i just dont wanna restore another car anytime soon. i love 240z's but i just dont have the desire to build another.

i have a toyota supra intercooler i planned to use. will it work with a t3/t4, larger injectors, bigger exaust and other mods to make 300hp? or should i sell it now and get a better unit? i know i can make it fit, but i dont know if it will be efficient enough for a 300hp motor. thanks for all the help guys!