HybridZ

opinions on 200sx?

GrayZee

A friend of mine has found a 86 200sx in good shape and at a really good price, but it is a ca20 with a auto trans. The first thing he is considering is what can be done with this car to increase power. The first thing that comes to mind is swap in a ca18et/5spd and start adding some turbo upgrade goodies (mandrel exhaust, intercooler, bigger injectors, possibly re-tune the ecu, ect.) However from the research that I have done on the net I still haven't found a 200sx that could break into the 14sec quarter mile. I would think that a mildly done 4cyl turbo could pull that off, or am I wrong? We also considered a vg30 swap as those cars did come with that engine but they don't seem to perform any better than the 4cyl turbo. Of course there is always the vg30et, but I'm betting that would be alot more difficult to swap. What we would like to see ideally is a 200sx that could pull a quarter in the 14sec range with some modest turbo mods. and 13sec range with some crazy turbo mods. What do you guys think, is it possible or am I asking for too much?

Guest Aaron

I personally liked the 200sx back in the day. As a modern upgrade, I would love to see one with an SR20det. The VG30det would be cool also, but I think you would have some clearance issuse with the turbo, and I think the driver's side motor mount is in a different location than a non turbo.

I'd like to stay away from the sr20 idea just because the recent high demand for those engines has skyrocketed the prices. For the cost of a sr20 I would rather go to the trouble of installing a vg30et. That route would definatly deliver the most HP but installing one sounds like a major PITA I know a little bit about the vg30et as I am currently swapping one into a 87 pathfinder (going with custom exhaust manifolds on that one) and yes, the turbo vg30 driver's side mount is different. However at least my pathfinder already has a vg30 in it now and still has some room in the engine bay. So the mods won't be THAT extensive.. (I hope) Also I know that 200sx's came with vg30's but they had a totally different intake manifold. I assume that it is lower and clears the hood better?

The ca18et in a 200sx would probably be a piece of cake. However I just found out that the ca18et engines only produce 120hp stock! Man, that sux! Assuming that it runs 7psi like most nissan turbos then even at 14psi I estimate the HP would be about 160HP which still dosn't sound like alot.

Id go for the 3.0 V6 my self.. I had an 85 200sx a few years back, and was contemplating that swap... I have a 93 King cab with that motor, and it's while it's noting special (compleatly stock engine with 240K, stock intake/exhast, with an automatic.. yuck) the thing goes pretty good! Im sure the old 200sx's are quite a bit lighter than my truck... I'd say a rebuilt vg30 with good breating, coupled with rear diff ratios say from the 4cy model.. and a 5 speed it would be one quick little 200! JMO..

ca18det is the engine you want! it fits right and its alot cheaper than sr20. it has 169hp and 224nm and its really easy to get about 300hp in it. :)

Yeah a ca18 "D" et would be a nice engine, but what do you mean by "cheap"? Maybe they were available in Europe? I thought only in Japan actually, but I could be wrong. Anyway I'm sure they didn't have them in North America, so that would most likely rule out the cheap part.

What about a Z18ET swap or a Turbo KA24? All the 240SX are throwing away their KA motors for a dime in favor of the SRs and the KA has been proving itself in a boosted application, lots of torque...and a great powerband. There are a few KA turbo kits available as of now.

Regards- Yasin

Yasin, I gave a little bit of thought to the ka24 as it would surely provide alot of power, it's just that I was hoping for a easier swap. My buddy is building a ka24 right now.. (remember the pics of the manifolds on the pathfinder thread?) The swap is close to being finished but I think the owner of the car is spending more time going to the beach than working on his car these days. It'll be a good swap I'm sure, it's just that I know first hand that it is a BIG job to turbo it unless you wanna buy a kit I guess.

As for the z18et, call me a dumbass, but I have no idea what kind of engine that is! As far as I know the Z series engines are from the old NAPS-Z 720 trucks? but the smallest one I've heard of is a 2.0 Guess I'll have to look it up.

Well the Z18ET really is getting rare and not too may made it over here (pretty much were all JDM imported engines...the Australians are getting 250hp all day long out of the Z18 (yes they are 8plug).

How about the CA18ET (also 8plug) and they came in the S12 chassis car, you just have to find a donor or one at the Junk Yard.

The Turbo KA24 would be a pretty big project, but there is no denying the gains!

Yasin

ca18det is the engine you want! it fits right and its alot cheaper than sr20. it has 169hp and 224nm and its really easy to get about 300hp in it. :)

Yeah a ca18 "D" et would be a nice engine' date=' but what do you mean by "cheap"? Maybe they were available in Europe? I thought only in Japan actually, but I could be wrong. Anyway I'm sure they didn't have them in North America, so that would most likely rule out the cheap part.[/quote']

here in europe we got the ca18det in our s13`s. so atleast here its a cheap engine.

Guest RCNSC

Hmmmm 240SX = KA24 or SR20. I know later gen 240SXs had DOHC KAs. They can make some power with a turbo. I like the way they look and would even consider the 240Z front clip! :)

You may be able to use the standard vg30 mounts if you are relocating the turbo. A friend and I are planning a vg30 swap into his 70's pinto (got them both for free). To clear the steering and frame, we are planning to make manifolds to mount the turbo GN style.

engine-front.jpg