HybridZ

As promised. New fabbed mount pics!

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

With all the interuptions and other things going on (trading Z cars) I managed to finish my mounts. These are pretty simple to fab. I got approx 12 bux into these. We arn't talking about my first try. I think I'll fab up an Alsil saddle mount later if I feel the need, but I'm trying these first. I have a bunch of clearence every where!

240rearcrossmember.jpg

motormounttopside.jpg

motormountsideview.jpg

motormountbottomview.jpg

240mountwithfabbedadaptertomotetrplate.jpg

Guest plainswolf

Please don't take this as a stupid question, but those look like...set-back plates the mount from the stock datsun engine mounts on the crossmember back to the Ford engine?

If so do you have header and steering shaft clearance?

Mark

Guest 305240

You are absolutly right. I'm using the stock Z mounts. I may end up using a torque strap tho. I'm using the stock 18 Granada exhaust manifolds. The 82 mustang look to be the same ones. I have lots of clearance for the steering shaft, both exhaust pipes, and I can get to the bell housing bolts easily. I'm going to be running side pipes, so the exhaust won't be a problem, or the fumes lol. I won't have to remove the engine to change the auto trans. I also have enough clearance to put my finger between the front oil sump and the cross member, I can also use an aftermarket air filter. The only thing I have to do is run a remote oil filter.

I used 1/4" stock for the plates and a 1"x1 1/2" x3" for the spacer between the plates.

Any chance you could take a few pics of the mounts on the car without the motor and tranny in?

And this is without cutting the steering shaft, right? If the only sacrifice is stock exhaust manifolds you may have come up with cleanest install for the SBF I've seen yet. Hope you have patterns and measurements.

Are you going carb or EFI?

Guest plainswolf
And this is without cutting the steering shaft, right? If the only sacrifice is stock exhaust manifolds you may have come up with cleanest install for the SBF I've seen yet. Hope you have patterns and measurements.

NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::D

would you have room for block-hugger headers of anykind?

I'm REALLY interested in this one... I'd also love to see pics of the engine mounted up with those.. How far back towards the firewall is your engine?

Guest 305240

I'm in the process of cleaning and detailing the engine bay. I can install the mounts and take a few pics. Here is a pic of how much room I have when setting it up to fab the mounts. As you can see, it has the stock manifolds and uncut steering. It's set ahead a little more than others I've seen, but it gives a bunch of room. This pic is of the firewall. I've got the dementions. I'll get them on here as soon as I can.

Lots_of_room_here.jpg

Guest plainswolf

what kind of tranny are you using and does it come out in the stock shifter hole location?

It looks like you'd have room for shorty headers to me..

Do you have any pics of your engine mounted in relation to the shock towers?

Like a side shot of engine mounted from above?

Guest 305240

I've got the mock up pics on my photobucket. However, photobucket is down and won't open for me. I have the pics of the mounts installed. The general position is as followes:

front sump clearance is approx 1/2" above the cross member.

Damper is partially over the steering rack.

firewall clearance is approx 3".

C4 trans mount is in the center of the stock 72 240 trans mount. I took the bar out of the stock trans mount as it placed the tranny too high. A lazer pointer placed the red dot almost center of the diff pinion flange. After I get it mounted again, I'll recheck the angles.

I'm using the stock exhaust manifolds off an 81 Granada, however, the 82 mustang headers look to be the same. I believe there may be enough room for block huggers. CaptZ said he used some without having to modify anything.

Everything I've saw on this swap uses the ford engine mounts. I think by using them is where having to cut the steering shaft comes in to play. This was my first try. The second try I used the stock Z mounts and the ford mounting plate. This gave me a lot of room.

The only draw back I can see so far is having to use a oil filter relocation kit.

I can either use the stock Z auto shifter or A B&M star shifter. I just won one on ebay. So, the B&M it is.

Hope this helps. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Guest 305240

As in all things, it's trial and error. Trust me, I made more than my share of mistakes. Somehow all those mistakes keep costing me $$$$$$. When using the ford mount (rubber) the rubber kept giving and nothing was working out right. My math was wrong. Something along the lines of taking a 6" x 8' board, attach one end to something lying flat, step on it and it will break. Now, take that same board, put it on edge, or an angle, it will hold your weight. Man, who wouldda thunk high school math would come into play?

I got some pics posted in my recent post. It's pics of the mounts installed in the car showing the steering shaft clearance. No engine.