HybridZ

Is it ok to remove cam towers?

Guest 2slo4u

Guest 2slo4u

Is it bad to remove the cam towers when working with the camshaft? I removed them without thinking a while back to change the valve seals that the machine shop did poorly. I later read in the haynes manual "under no circumstances should the cam towers be upset". Well the cam went back on ok and moves fine. I'm going to change my cam in a couple of days and it would be a lot easier if I can leave the fuel rail on. I called motorsport and the guys told me it would be ok. Just wondering? :?

I've swapped them from one head to another, so that whole "they're align bored on the head" line that people believe is BS IMO. More urban legend. Like spork said, just rotate the cam to make sure everything moves freely, and heck, you should ALWAYS do that anyway any time the head comes off.

My first cam change was the ultimate supposed no-no. I pulled the cam towers and cam and put the new cam towers and cam on from a different engine. Never had a problem with that headgasket either (the other part of the no-no in that situation). Eventually pulled that engine when the balancer came apart on me and ruined the front of the crank some 40K miles, probably 60 autoxs and 10 track days later...