HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Update # 11

Worked on the Z this weekend. I pulled the motor and trans back out and beat on the trans tunnel for awhile to make room for the trans crossmember. While the motor was out I replace the cracked oil pan with the new one. Got the motor and trans back in and bolted up to the motor mounts again. I marked where to drill for the trans crossmember but didn't get a chance to get it drilled. Family obligations. I also did a test fit of the driveshaft from JCI. Looks like it will work great.

The Sanderson headers sould be here this week. The Speartech wiring harness and computer should be here next week?

I sure hope I don't have to pull the motor too many more times. If so I really need to get a 2nd floor jack.

David,

Looks like you're making some good progress. Getting anxious yet!?? :roll:

One thing I really like about my set-up is that I have no trans crossmember and no front differential mount to go bad. The tranny and diffy are locked together with two C channel in a torque tube design that puts the 'twist' into the differential and not into the body. I also won't ever have the 'clunks' again. :-D

Hey Phantom... Not to hijack this.... can you PM me with pics or links about your torque tube? Its looking like I will be able to get aggressive about my Z modding this winter (not to mention just getting started, finally = )

Qwik... looking good, please post pics!!!! I start looking for a LS1/T56 in a month or so.

Hey Phantom... Not to hijack this.... can you PM me with pics or links about your torque tube? Its looking like I will be able to get aggressive about my Z modding this winter (not to mention just getting started' date=' finally = )

Qwik... looking good, please post pics!!!! I start looking for a LS1/T56 in a month or so.[/quote']

Tannji,

I have pics posted at the link in my siugnature line. Nothing new since then.

Tannji,

I may have some photos, I'm not sure. I have a new computer. The old one died and it may have taken most of my conversion pics with it. Even if I can find them, though, I doubt you could build off them. It is a very complex design with lots of little spacers and special fabricated parts, etc. that allows the mounting points on the tailshaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the differential to be sandwiched between two 3" channels that have their legs turned inward so they literally encapsulate the drive shaft & universals.

Again - this was done in a 280Z so it would be a bit different in a 240Z - and it was done with the Z31 3.70:1 R200 LSD.

Bill