HybridZ

88 ZX Turbo, what's it worth?

Poundz9oh9

My brother in law came across an 88 ZX Turbo that his friend gave to him to sell. The sorry $%^$%^@ tried to play the "make me an offer" game. So, I asked my sis what the owner wants for it and she told me $800. Now, my brother-in-law wants $1500 from me, because he knows he can sell it for more. My question is this.............after the rear end is taken out (that's mine) could I still get $1500 for the car? It's supposedly in decent condition and all it needs to "go" is an alternator. Lets assume there's 150,000 on the clock and has good compression with little or no rust.

I know it's all subjective to exactly what the condition of the engine/car is in but in a roundabout guesstimation, what do you think I could get for the rest of the car?

Buying from the original owner's unfortunately not an option because he was on his way out of town when he signed the title over to my brother-in-law. It's a shame this guy (bro-in-law) is all about himself otherwise I could have a great deal on my hands.

Well that kind of sucks.. but what I'd do, is talk your prick bro-in-law down as much as possible, then throw an alternator in the thing, and swap rear ends. Ie; take the good one (from the 300zx) for your car like you want, and replace it with the one you remove from your car.. then, it's a running drivable 300zx again.. you could probly get $2 or $3 K for it.. assuming it's in otherwise good shape.. I've found its always easier to sell a running/driving car then a partially striped 'parts' car.

You're right on track with what I was thinking about after I posted. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. The ONE good thing ablout dealing with the brother-in-law is that I won't need to pay him until I get rid of the car. I thnk my window is about a month long :D which is good because that'll give me some time to mess with it.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just give him the $1500. Then I'll swap and trade the rear end, then re-sell it. If he's gonna be all about himself, I'll turn it around and make more off of it than he does. That should piss him off enough. Or maybe I'll just drive it while the 1st priority car is being worked on. Or maybe, I'll save the motor for my next project, or maybe I'll part it out, or maybe it's not in the condition he THINKS it's in, or maybe .............. ok, I'm finished.