HybridZ

ziex tires and new wheels for autocross/street

jacked.jpg

As far as the bodystiffness goes. It's lifted right behind the front wheel.

PICT0022.sized.jpg

Hey, I was wondering if you can help me out: I am trying to put the head back on the Z's motor, but I can't seem to figure out how to put it on. Where does the headgasket go? Any tips or tricks you can help me out with? I'm a little lost.... :?:

oh yeah, weren't you the guy who wanted to hop up the 1.8L fwd subaru that gets spanked by kias, hyundais and.. wait.. neons! lose the ricer mentality, and quit picking on a daily driver that can outhandle your Z and your subaru.

Guest 2slo4u

Who are you referring to about replacing the head gasket? Hopefully you are joking about your Wankel. Yeah, the subaru would be More fun if it had a little more pep but it does have great handling, a lot better handling than it needs for 115 hp. Yeah, I can do the jack up and have no flex trick with the subaru also. Only thing is I've only needed to jack it up to change a flat because it never breaks. If someone had some hp hints, though, maybe I'd have a reason too. Ha Ha. Btw, aren't all asian made automobiles "rice burners"? "Ricers" drive around with stickers, pretty colored lights, ineffective oversized spoilers, air intakes that look like intercoolers, etc. I drive my z around with rust, a few dents on the driver's fender and lots of aluminum tape. There aren't any "ricer" mods on my car. I also don't have oversized exhaust pipes or mufflers, matter of fact, I have no muffler, just straight 2.25" pipe. :twisted:

81zxturbo"ricer?"

95slobaru"bone stock ricer?"

apparently, sarcasm > you. You can keep picking on the neon, except mine's a 99 r/t, not a 95. Of course, if you weren't ignorant, you'd probably realize that most of the issues were addressed by 97 models.

My r/t has 100k on it, and I'm about to change the timing belt - it hasn't left me stranded anywhere yet. Sure, it's a pos, but it gets ~32 mpg on average, and best of 38mpg on the highway, and seats 4 comfortably.

I didn't call your car a ricer, I called YOU a ricer. You have a ricer's mentality, best you can do is yap about how crappy my neon is, and tell me that a TALLER tire will provide better handling, and attempt to call me out on "progress" of my Z (which, by the way, is just a little better than your project).

Point is, YOU ARE WRONG, and you can't see that after I went through calculations to show you. You also fail to aknowledge that the 512 has a soft sidewall - I could easily flex it with my bare hands when I looked at the tire. I chose the tires because I didn't like changing out azenis every 15k miles, and the noise they made when they wore down.

Guest 2slo4u

Yeah, "auxiliary". You are right once again as always. :bonk: And of course your non running pretty z is far superior (wait, that sounds like ricer tactics. Maybe you are stooping to my ricer mentality level!) to my daily driving crappy rusted out zx. Of course it is better. As I stated, I never had 512's and did not put them down. I had 502's. Maybe if you didn't rag on my subaru in your past lame response about my "hp help" inquiry, maybe I would not picking with you about your neon. I think for the limited budget I have had for the zx, it has done well. And I have never requested head gasket help as your imaginary (possibly sarcastic) statement above has suggested. I can see this it turning into a "last word" competion, so I'm letting it go. (Just don't make jokes about my Momma, Ha Ha!)

81zxturbo(the "inferior" z car)

95slobaru(can't get much slower than this!)

Look, son

Maybe if you didn't rag on my subaru in your past lame response about my "hp help" inquiry, maybe I would not picking with you about your neon
Maybe when he starts posting his progress on his 240z instead of his "neon", I'll quit picking on him

I never made a single comment about your ZX. You told me to show my Z progress instead of "running my mouth" about the neon. I did. The comment for the fwd subaru was made in jest that you shouldn't spend money on a daily driver, but instead sink it into your project car. Apparently that message didn't make it through either

Sorry you bought a neon. Oh, by the way like I said, 15", 15", 15". I don't like arguing about cars with head gasket problems or fwd cars with traction problems

Second, you called out my neon before I made any comments about your subaru, so, you lose this argument too. Ironically, you're giving me crap about having a slow fwd daily driver. Pot:kettle, my friend. You drive a fwd subaru.

Yeah, "auxiliary".

If you're going to try to win this battle by commenting on my spelling of my handle, at least learn to spell it properly: auxilliary. My handle comes from IRC from eons ago, where I couldn't use more than 8 character names.

And clearly, you're still not getting the point that you are wrong about 215/60 vs. 205/60 tires. Just accept defeat already

Ok... that got out of hand quickly... Now lets get back on topic, CHILDREN. :roll: We were discussing steelies and where I could find some for a decent price and what kind of performance the falken ziex's offer as far as daily driving...

Continue posting. :lol:

I was very pleased with falken azenis. They really are a wonderful tire as far as performance and bang for the buck go. ziex 512s, in my opinion, are good all season tire, and probably good for rain, but the sidewall is too soft, and there will be a lot of tire roll. speaking from experience of owning both

Guest DiZeased_240

I second Drax240z. The Azenis are a much better autocross tire than the 512's. You can get them from Discount Tire Direct at the size 205/50/15 for $77 each shipped.

The only other street tire that comes close to performance/price is the Kumho Ecsta MX. But it's $82 from tirerack.com in the above size and that doesn't include shipping.

I've had really good results with the Azenis.

I'm not trying to make the thread any longer than it already is, but wouldn't I have to replace the azenis more frequently than the ziex's?

Ziex treadwear rating: 420

Azenis treadwar rating: 200

Any more opinions on that? Especialy since I will only attend one autocross a month and I drive the car everyday. (through rain) I heard that the azenis with the 200 treadwear rating hydroplane if given any amount of water. Can anyone back this up?

As I've stated, I drove my neon around for ~2.5 years with azenis. They last me about 15k miles a set. I drive relatively aggressively on the street (onramps, turns, etc), and they are wonderful tires as far as grip goes. The 512's sidewall is too soft, and flexes easily. I would get yokohama avs es100 if you want a good rain tire and good grip in the dry. Those are the tires I have on the Z.

i drove carefully in the rain with azenis, they aren't meant for wet roads

Azenis sucks in the rain.

After 5000 miles of New England weather, most recently a lot of it in the last 4 days it has been bucketing, I can say that is not true. Perhaps toward the end of their life but that is true of any tire.

ollie05: if you are worreid about treadware, give the Kumho 712's a shot. Not as sticky as the Azenis, not as stiff a sidewall, but certainly a better performance tire than the Ziex (502 or 512). Just as cheap as the Azenis too.

I was considering the khumos but then I read something that khumo 711's were illegal in scca, so I decided I would stay away from khumo's all together. I already ordered falken ziex 512's and now I just have to order the diamond racing wheels (15x7). I'm still waiting for the diamond racing guy to reply to my email to see if the wheels he's selling are lighter than the paulsen wheels. Thanks to everyone who replied!