HybridZ

Radiator ?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am wondering if this radiator solution will work. The guy who did the V8 install, didn't do a great job, I'm having to redo a lot of it. Anyway, the stock 260Z radiator is in the car TRYING to cool the 350. Well it's not enough, I also have the wrong mounts so there isn't a lot of radiator room, I already decided to change from pull to push fan to free up a little bit of space between the pullies. My questions is, do you think a copper 260Z size radiator with more fins will be sufficient? The custom radiator guy thinks it will work to take the same core size and weld the same end tanks on. Lemme know what you think. Thanks

------------------

Will always be a rotorhead at heart, but V8 Zs are straight line monsters!

V8 VPR, I am using the stock 280 radiator

in my 77 V8 car and have had pretty good success. I live in South Texas and it gets pretty hot and humid down here. I can cruize

and race the car Friday/Saturday nights with no overheat problems. However on a hot day

on the highway above 4000 rpm it will start to get hot. It will quickly cool back down when I cut the rpms back down to low 3's...

My motor is a solid roller and I know this helps keep the temp down...

Myron

Guest Anonymous

You may want to weigh the costs. Depends on what this customized 260 radiator will cost. The Griffin aluminum radiator runs approx. 165.00 from Summit Racing. FWIW.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks a lot on that griffin referral, I called the custom guy back and he had not ordered the radiator for me yet, and even offered to refund me my deposit! I'm very impressed, but can you send me the exact part number on that griffin radiator and will it fit with the scarab style mounts? Thanks a lot!

------------------

Will always be a rotorhead on track, but my V8Z will dust you on the street.

You can get the 2 rows of 1" tube in the 24" X 19" from Summit for $181.95, part # GRI-1-25202-X. You have to make custom mounts though, and it's quite thick, maybe 2 1/2" - 3" thick. You can also go with an aluminum rad from a '83-85 Camaro (light duty). This is JTR's recommendation.

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited November 20, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Does the Camaro radiator require new brackets? also, how difficult are the brackets to fabricate? thanks

------------------

Guest Anonymous

As Mike KZ was saying, the mount would look like this: (if the ascii gods are with me.)

(Forget it, I've tried an ascii picture 6 times and it won't line up right. mad.gif ) I'll Email you a picture.

It can be made from 2" strap, the outter flanges of the bracket would have a hole drilled in it to secure it to the frame rail, the radiator sits on the middle section. Small brackets need to be made to secure the radiator on this mount (small C shaped brackets that could be Pop riveted cross-wise to the larger piece if you don't have a welder). Once this is done you'll want to place rubber over the metal to keep it from rubbing a whole in your shiny new radiator. It probably sounds harder than it is. If I've mistated how this works, someone else please jump in and correct. If you have a hammer and a vise, bending the strap into the above shape isn't a problem. Just get some strap that isn't real thick as your not talking about supporting anything thats super heavy.

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited November 20, 2000).]

Guest Fast Frog

Jim Cook Racing makes a 4 core Chevy style radiator with the mounting holes matching those of the Z car. It's actually made for the Z V8 conversion. I've been using one for 5 yrs with no over heating problems! I live an a desert type area where the temps get to 100+ deg in the summer. Until recently, I've also been running a Paxton SC-still with no heating probs. However, the JCR radiator is $250+.

Rick

Guest Anonymous

I purchased the griffin from summit racing. Are the cross brace brackets that you emailed me gonna work for that one as well? Thank you for all your help.

------------------

V8-VPR,

I positioned the Griffin up against the radiator support, then made some marks on the tanks where the original mounting holes on the radiator support lined up. I then cut 4 pieces of 1/8 thick aluminum angle, 3" tall and had them welded to the tanks. Drill holes in the aluminum to line up with the holes on the radiator support and bolt it up.

HTH

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by V8 VPR:

I purchased the griffin from summit racing. Are the cross brace brackets that you emailed me gonna work for that one as well? Thank you for all your help.

The one I sent you should work the same way, the cross braces should be located toward the outside to cradle the end tanks. Just locate them after you have the radiator and know where they go. As I said, put rubber down to prevent rubbing and you should be in good shape. The top brackets will need to be made to finish the installation. Those can be made using what would look like a 'F' shaped piece of metal, and fasten to the top of the radiator support/bulkhead in front of the radiator. If you need a visualization of that let me know.

Lone

PS: That idea of Scottie's is a pretty good one too, just have to find a person that can tig weld it on for you, also there is a article at Brian's Garage:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6212/griffin.html

That shows another type of bracket a little more involved, but a very nice installation.

Call me a worry wart (I am one), but hard mounting an Aluminum racing radiator to a flexing radiator support MAY bring troubles down the road. These things aren't the most robust structural designs and Aluminum, well it fatigues no matter what. I think rubber mounting these things is a VERY GOOD idea for all but purpose built racing machines like Scottie's.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -