HybridZ

Is this a JTR conversion?

Guest ericmendenhall

Guest Anonymous

That sounds good.How was that TH350 Trans?I think that's what I'm going to have to use for a while in my V8 Z until I get a little more money.All that I'm sacrificing is the overdrive anyway.It'll take a bigger punch than the rest from what I've heard.Did that exhaust give it a really good 'deep muscular' tone?I think that's what I'm going to use on mine.What did your 73 run on the track?Did you ever check?

Izzy

Guest ericmendenhall

Thanks, Nullbound.

If you didn't mind the scarab handling, then why are you re-converting? It sounds like what I thought it would be: fairly straightforward, but time-consuming enough that I would never get to it. You must have some compelling reason to through the hassle; what was it?

But I pretty much have to fly in just to take a look at the car. I'm an engineer, and a huge fan of things that are done "exactly the way they should be done". I think the JTR represents the best engineering effort, anything else would bug me a little. I've really got no time at all to do the conversion or the reconversion, so I really gotta look for exactly the one I want. 20 years of wanting, by the way, a little longer won't hurt.

As I write this, a tiny little guy is standing on my shoulder yelling "Just go and drive that one and see! Do it! Do it!"

Thanks, DavyZ, you had me scratching my head!

izzy, the th350 is a great and durable transmission. around town, it's great. but, even with the 3:36 diff gearing, i was having to turn the motor up to about 3000 rpms (~70mph) to keep up with traffic on the expressways. my preference is to be keeping up with traffic with the engine turning fewer rpms than that. along with the change in transmission, i'll also be changing my diff to a 3.70 (possibly a 3.90). even with the lower gearing in the diff, i'll be doing 70 mph at around 2200 rpms instead. i'll be getting better gas mileage to boot.

as far as my reasons for the reconversion, it had a lot to do with changing my transmission, wanting to use s&s headers (though they can be used with the hooker/scarab kit), wanting a bigger cooling fan behind my radiator, and wanting the option of running a taller intake and retaining at least a 3" air filter. my waterpump pulley was touching the back of the electric fan as it was... plus, i was pulling the motor and tranny anyway to get the car painted. if it had just been a matter of changing the tranny, i would not be going this far.

i was just going to turn the scarab/hooker motor mounts around (this alone would give me 2 or 3 inches to move the engine back). the mount on the 200-4r is about 5" aft of the mount on the th350, so i wouldnt be able to use the scarab/hooker tranny mount any longer. i had already decided to use the jtr tranny mount to install the 200-4r. i could have gone this route and been able to move the engine back enough to get the taurus fan on my new griffin radiator, with some room to spare. i would still have to cut the hood latch mount on the firewall off either way, as well as having to have the driveshaft shortened since i was sliding everything back some (normally you dont have to have the driveshaft shortened when changing from th350 to 200-4r). however, it just seemed logical to use the jtr setback plates and spacers since i was already going to be using the tranny mount and radiator mount. and the jtr kit would give me even more room between the fan and waterpump. plus, i was able to sell the hooker/scarab kit complete to make up the difference.... and i didnt really wanna be that guy with the scarab/hooker/jtr install.

i'm an engineer, too, and completely consider wanting things done right the first time to be my mantra. when my car was originally done, though, it was right the first time. when i decided on wanting more power, that's when changes started to be made to the original plan. the red car you are looking at is a great looking car and looks like it was done well. listen to the little guy on your shoulder, as well as Pete, Davy, and Larry. i don't think you would notice much difference even if you did change kits later on. if you like the car, then go for it. if not, continue the search.

Guest ericmendenhall

Thanks, Ryan.

I think I might have to fly up and drive it.

What kind of work do you do?

I'm a power electroincs designer, mostly audio.

Eric

that car was just like fl327s car, same rims, same paint, different bumper, and he didnt go for no saggyNAW trans. motor on that one is a bit more pumped than the 327 though, same heads though. i never complained about the handling of the scarab car, EVER, i had great fun with it, granted i never autocrossed it, but through all the canyon carving and the street racing, it did everything like it should have, and never said no when it was time to get rubber like b_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gif

ok fine, fourth would just SCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, man that car was a blast.