HybridZ

Few questions before making more purchases.

violacleff

OK, I'm ready to buy the intercooler piping. I had a fellow Z enthusiast come help me today, and he said that with the size of my turbo (T4), I should not go any smaller than 2.5 piping. He also said that I oughta use 2 electric fans. One of his ideas was to mount one behind the radiator, and one between the radiator and IC. Is this a decent idea? BTW he has a 3.1 stroker turbo L28 in his '91 Jag, so he has never done this in an S30 before. I know that the general concensus here is that 2.25 was the easiest fit. Is 2.5 possible using electric fans with a stock dizzy location? Yes I have read all posts.

Thanks.

Guest bastaad525

A Z engine in a Jag huh?? :shock: what a trip....

Cygnus' routing worked perfectly for me as well... I used 2.25" pipe but did have room left over, I am using the stock dizzy, stock fan, and even the 280zxt fan shroud, which Cygnus is not using. One BIG helper for me, one thing I did differently from Cygnus, was that I ran a 45* bend silicone coupler off of the throttle body, pointing down, instead of just a coupler coming straight out.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/12572/000_0017.jpg

I tried to take a good pic showing how this gives the pipe plenty of clearance to run underneath the dizzy, instead of along side it, which was the big factor in allowing me to keep the radiator shroud.

I'm curious, what size is the outlet of the T3/04? When I was shopping around different places to maybe have someone install the I/C for me, the most common recommendation I got was to either keep the piping the same size as the compressor outlet, or if there was a size differential between the compressor outlet and throttle body, to try to run a size in between the two. My turbo outlet is 2" and my T/B is 2.25"... no size in between there so I just ran the larger of the two. Also, my I/C inlet and outlets are 2.5", I ended up stretching the 2.25" couplers over the ends, or I'd have needed additional reducers. Had it not been for that, I'd maybe even have run 2" pipe all the way. I know you don't want to go too big, as this will cause excess lag, will lower the velocity of the incoming air, and may attribute to additional pressure drop before the air get's into the manifold.

Ok nice pic. Thanks.

So you're using two 90* couplers at the inlent/outlet, and one 45* coming from the throttle body? I have to measure my turbo outlet, I'm not sure what the diameter is on a T4. Also I'm not sure what the diameter is on the 240sx TB. if they are smaller than the piping, should I order a reducer? JC whitney sells them. In fact they sell everything, and I'm doing the math to see what comes out cheaper between JC and the ebay kit. I guess I gotta figure out exactly what I need.

BTW that Jag is pretty crazy. Its a '91.

Guest bastaad525

yeah 2 90s on the I/C, one 45 off the T/B, a 2" to 2.25" reducer on the pipe coming out of the turbo, one straight coupler right in front of the engine, and two 90* bend pipes. I believe 240sx TB is 2.5"? I was going to buy the same ebay kit, but I figured that I would need to buy some extra parts to make it work, and the price would have been similiar to what I spent on just buying seperate parts. And I have a lot less leftover.