HybridZ

mitsubitshi aluminum gas lid/cap

waynekarnes

been searching for a couple hours ... some info, but lots of the posts are old, no more images ... no cut here, poke there, matches body curves, ect, information.

i know that someone out there has used the mrs. bitsi spyder aluminum gas cap on the 240z.

any directions, pix of the work in progress ?

i know any thing is possible with money and talent ( i don't have either ),

a friend has a welder and talent, for the costs of material has volunteered to do the mods for me, if i can get advise and pix.

i'm sure he could figure it out, but always easier with good advise from someone that's already been there.

also considering the new mustang bullet cap ...

thanks, wayne

thanks.

NICE !

saw 2 of those earlier. went to ebay and found one of those caps, much better price than the mrs bitsi lid .

does that open to expose the gas cap underneath, or is it the real cap ?

any pix of the inside ?

i want to leave the vents working on mine, thought your cap looks like the factory put it there.

wonder if there is enough air through one vent that it's okay to cover one ?

again, any inside shots ? how are you getting fuel to the tank ?

thanks again, wayne

Heres a few more pics. There is actually a second part that I had to purchase with my fuel caps, a spun aluminum funnel that mounts to the inside of the body that will let you attach a fuel hose to it. I've mounted a cap on either side of the car, and will run the hoses into a "T" fitting that will dump into the top of a summit 16 gallon fuel cell mounted where the spare tire well used to be. I never really gave any thought to the cabin venting that I'd be losing by doing this, but I think it will still work out ok, as the Z isn't really known for being very airtight anyway :D

index.cfm?p=gi&i=8505&r=8781&t=reg

index.cfm?p=gi&i=8504&r=7857&t=reg

Almost forgot, I used a dremel roto-zip cutter to cut out the holes in the sheetmetal. It's made for cutting drywall, but it works pretty good on light metal too. Be sure to wear hearing protection though, as it tends to get kinda loud :shock:

Guest 305240

I wish everyone would stop posting all those neet little upgrade mods! Now I have to have one too!. My wife is going broke trying to keep up with all my "Gotta haves!"

z tard, thanks for the inside pix ... where'd you pick up the inside piece, i take it, it's a match to the sparco lid ? or is there an actual gas cap under the lid ?

obviously, still in planning stages for a filler neck and tube to the tank. are you going to use a fuel cell ?

killer klown, thanks !

looks nice !

any problems with the body contours

any pix of the inside, the filler neck to the tank ...

are you running a fuel cell or stock tank ?

from what is see, looks like stock tank and replaced the door ? in that case, i'm guessing, the stock datsun set up is behind the flip door ?

i had looked at that lid on ebay, you satisfied with the quality ?

years back, for my meyers manx dune buggy, i bought a flat, screw shut, like one would use on a boat, used it above the gas tank. now i'm regretting that decision. it's warpping and plastic is loosing oil and drying out. cheap enough to replace, but still ...

so, i want to do this right, do it once, especially since my friend with the welder is actually going to be doing it, i have very limited skills in that department.

let's see, relocate the battery to the cargo area, how much trouble could that be ???? hmmm , a new fuel cap door, a fuel cell, and new exhaust system .... but that means relocating a brake line ... well, rear disc brake kit is already waiting in the garage ...

i don't think that i am ever gonna get to do more than drive it around the block, testing the latest improvement.

MORE PIX !!! I WANT MORE !!!

thank you very much ...

Heres an auction from the same place I got mine from. They offer the spun aluminum funnels as an extra for these. I think the funnels were like another $30 or so. Between 2 fuel caps, funnels, and a fuel cell, this has been kind of an expensive part of the Z project, but worth it in my opinion since it really captures the look I was going for, and I can refuel from either side of the car now too. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452370445&category=42611

No pics of the connection to the fuel cell yet, as I still have to make it. This has kind of lit a fire under my ass though, so I'll see what I can do in the next week or so.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

bought a mrs bitchi gas door, a plastic one and the aluminum.

40 for the plastic and 110 for the aluminum.

both come with the well, the part under the door that goes around the neck of the filler hose.

the plastic one appears to be held in place by the filler hose and maybe a bracket of some sort.

the aluminum lid, appears to be held the same way, as well as bolts through the body on the ring.

will see if i can eventually make this a reality, if not, the counterman at mrs. bitchi says i can bring em back.

if it gets done, will post pix ... i'm counting on the skills and generosity of my friend at work ( phone company ... climbing poles, hanging lines, crawling under houses ).

my buddy is not sure he wants to tackle this ... he has taken on another project and his wife is a bit peeved ... he's been out 3 nights a week, until 2 in the morning working at his friend's body shop, customizing a tractor for a wealthy farmer. drives 40 miles each way. gets home around 3. gets up at 6 to be at work with me around 7 am.

ahhh, to have that energy ... to be 35 again !!!