HybridZ

Running a smaller plug gap

lifegrddude

Hey everyone, I have recently completed my intercooler installation on my ZXT and noticed that I was having a slight misfire problem under higher boost. The current gap is set at .036" and I was thinking about closing the gap down to about .031". Is there any downside to running a smaller gap? Or is there another possibility to the misfire? I am using an MSD Blaster coil and 8mm plug wires. Thanks.

John 82ZXT

Guest bastaad525

smaller gap = less thourough combustion = slight drop in power and throttle response. Usually its not noticeable either way. I agree it's worth the money to get an MSD 6A or even better a 6AL and run a larger gap, .045-.050, and get a little more thourough combustion. Running the MSD helped greatly with my idle misfire problems, improved startup and throttle response. Definately a good investement.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry a bit about gapping at .030". The power you are losing through misfires will far outweigh any power loss from the smaller gap.

FWIW, I generally run at 0.030" on NGK BPR8-ES plugs, any nobody has accused me of having an inefficient setup :D .

Guest bastaad525

yeah it wouldn't hurt... as I said you probably wouldn't even notice it. But, there is also the posibility that it wont kill the misfire either. I can gap them as small as I want and my slight miss at idle will not go away.

yeah it wouldn't hurt... as I said you probably wouldn't even notice it. But, there is also the posibility that it wont kill the misfire either. I can gap them as small as I want and my slight miss at idle will not go away.

Yeah, the smaller plug gap is intended to help misfire problems at high cylinder pressures, as you would find under high boost. If you have a misfire at idle, it's almost certainly something else.