HybridZ

Need some motivation.

rustrocket

Alright. I'm having a bit of trouble getting motivated to even start my project now. A lot of people are discouraging me from restoring/hybridifying my 72, mainly due to cost. I dont have ample amounts of cash on hand and i cant get a loan, and it looks like it'll take me about 12-14 months to do otherwise (assuming i spend about 800 a month on the Z). I live in an apartment, and dont really have room other than the carport, and my roomate isn't cool with parking on the street. What do you guys suggest i do? And my daily driver is a piece as well, and need something i can go out in without being embarassed.

Well, I was in a similar situation last year when I got my car.. No place to put it to work on it aside from 'God's garage' and not much money to play with evry month.. But it is totaly 'do-able' man.. I've only got about $3500 into my Z now (only been 14 months since I got it!) It looks good, and runs and drives.. needs some more 'stuff' but all will come together, in good time.

If you can swing it, pick up one of those portable garages and find a back yard somewhere (friend/relative/ect) to stick it in. Mine cost about $300, but it's still working good for me! I worked in it through the whole winter (a little cold, but stick a propane/kerosene heater in there, and it's not bad.. plus it acts like a green house and the sun heats it up pretty good!) I didnt pull the engine, but I had the whole car apart otherwise.. doors off, up on blocks, basicaly gutted.. I welded it all up, did the whole body job, ect in there!

Through the worst of the winter (jan-feb.. wow.. too cooooold) I just acumulated parts when I could afford them, and sucked up all the knowlege I could from here, other sites online and ppl I know.

Really, parts of it depends on how 'bad' your Z really is.. does it run and drive? Is is rotten to the core? And also, can you do the work it needs on your own? I say go for it man, but try to have some sort of a plan to stick (roughly) to and you will get this progect done. I know what its like to have people sayng its a bad idea, and it'll never get done, bla bla bla... meh. .. Do It! Prove them wrong!

:lol: I did. :-D