HybridZ

Need Chevy Help Odometer

Guest Needa406Z

Guest Needa406Z

I do own a 355 powered 280Z, but have a question on my 02 Chevy Silverado. I know there is away to deactivate my odometer, (and speedo) by installing a switch on a signal wire between the VSS (I believe) and Instument Cluster. To prevent from racking up excessive highway miles :oops:. If anyone knows which wire and its location to do this I would be much appreciated. I don't want to pull the fuse and lose all instrumentation so Please Help I know we got some chevy truck owners on site

Thank You

Needa406Z

Guest Needa406Z

Because I am getting close to the end of my factory warranty and I have some intermittant trans. problems. Chevrolet won't help me unless the damn thing falls out from under it. In attending school I travel 60 mi round trip each day for school and the end of my factory warranty is rapidly approaching and the last thing I need while unempolyed and schooling is a $1500 transmission. Thank You

Well thats depends if you Silverado gets it speed signal from the wheel speed sensors or a tranny VSS sensor. If its the wheel speed sensors your pretty much screwed. If you unplug those your ABS will not work and it will for sure set codes. If its a VSS sensor in tranny you might be able to just unplug that but it will also set a code. There is not "switch" to just turn off the speedo/odometer. This is the reason there is not switch, because every one would turn the speedo off.

Oh and unplugging the VSS could cause a driveablitly problem too. I know if the output or input speed sensor on Dodges goes bad(open circuited) the tranny controller will put the transmission into a "limp" mode, which means only 2nd gear.

Either way they are going to be suspious if you have 34,082 miles and when you come in next 3 months later you only have 34,100. Plus there will be a code in the PCM or tranny module.

If it is an on going problem with your tranny Chevrolet should pay for it if it breaks within a reasonable time from the end of your warrenty. I know the dealership that I work at would take care of you just as long as there really is a problem. Of course you could always threaten to "Lemon Law" the vehicle if the problem persists. That will noramally get the dealership to cooperate! :D

Guy

If you mess with the odometer and they find out, or even suspect, they'll void the warranty.

Document all the problems, explain the intermittent problem and get them to check it while it's still under warranty. Be firm about it.

See if you can figure out when the problems turns up, and put that in the documentation ( such as, "it acts up after driving on the highway for 1 hour at 70 MPH then getting stuck in stop and go traffic for 15 min. on a 92 degree day") They'll probably claim nothing is wrong, so explain that it is intermittent and ask them to test drive it and reproduce the situation you described in the documentation.

Check the mileage when you drop it off, the again when you pick it up. If the mileage doesn't agree with your document ion go back in and ask for the service manager and ask him to explain how they could have tested for the problem without putting on the miles.

Once you start this battle it should be covered under warranty since you brought the problem to them and they failed to reproduce the problem while it was under warranty.

Go in and explain the the problem exists and you want it repaired while under warranty so that it doesn't turn into a major repair later. Go as far up the chain as needed. If the service manager is no help go up to the owner if necessary. Don't take "no" for an answer.

Hope that helps,

- Joe